Evaluating the impact of the French tax credit on the employment rate of women
This paper investigates the employment impact of a new tax-credit programme that was put in place in France in 2001. We study the introduction of both this measure and a later reform in 2004 that made the tax credit cashable in advance upon returning to work. We adopt a non-experimental evaluation method. The data for the analysis are drawn from the French Labour Force Surveys over the period 1999 to 2005. Due to the break in the French LFS series in 2003, we analyze separately the two periods 1999-2002 and 2003-05, as well as pooling the data over 1999-2005, under particular assumptions. We find evidence of a significantly negative employment effect for married women, with a reduction of about 3.2-3.4 percentage points in their employment rate after the introduction of the policy. The impact is positive and weakly significant for cohabiting women, while positive but statistically insignificant for lone mothers. We do not find any evidence of an additional effect of the tax credit due to the cashable advance credit reform of 2004.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 18 54 00
Fax: 01 45 56 06 15
Web page: http://www.ofce.sciences-po.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart, Mark B., 2002.
"The Impact of the Introduction of the UK Minimum Wage on the Employment Probabilities of Low Wage Workers,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
169, Royal Economic Society.
- Mark B. Stewart, 2004. "The Impact of the Introduction of the U.K. Minimum Wage on the Employment Probabilities of Low-Wage Workers," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(1), pages 67-97, 03.
- Stewart, Mark B., 2002. "The Impact Of The Introduction Of The Uk Minimum Wage On The Employment Probabilities Of Low Wage Workers," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 630, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Stephen R.G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, 2002.
"Unemployment and Non-Employment: Heterogeneities in Labour Market States,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2002-05, McMaster University.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, 2006. "Unemployment and Nonemployment: Heterogeneities in Labor Market States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 314-323, May.
- Thomas Piketty, 1998. "L'impact des incitations financières au travail sur les comportements individuels : une estimation pour le cas français," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 132(1), pages 1-35.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275, February.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eissa, Nada & Hoynes, Hilary Williamson, 2004. "Taxes and the labor market participation of married couples: the earned income tax credit," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1931-1958, August.
- Olivier Donni & Nicolas Moreau, 2007.
"Collective Labor Supply: A Single-Equation Model and Some Evidence from French Data,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 42(1).
- Olivier Donni & Nicolas Moreau, 2005. "Collective Labor Supply: a Single-Equation Model and Some Evidence from French Data," Cahiers de recherche 0516, CIRPEE.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Dan T. Rosenbaum, 2001.
"Welfare, The Earned Income Tax Credit, And The Labor Supply Of Single Mothers,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(3), pages 1063-1114, August.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Dan T. Rosenbaum, 1999. "Welfare, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Labor Supply of Single Mothers," NBER Working Papers 7363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Dan T. Rosenbaum, 1998. "Welfare, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Labor Supply of Single Mothers," JCPR Working Papers 32, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- V. Joseph Hotz & John Karl Scholz, 2001.
"The Earned Income Tax Credit,"
NBER Working Papers
8078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elena G. F. Stancanelli & Henri Sterdyniak, 2004.
"Un bilan des études sur la Prime pour l'emploi,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 88(1), pages 17-41.
- Mark B. Stewart, 2004. "The employment effects of the national minimum wage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(494), pages C110-C116, 03.
- Elena Stancanelli, 2007. "Marriage and Work: an analysis for French couples in the last decade," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-10, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- François Bourguignon & Thierry Magnac, 1990. "Labor Supply and Taxation in France," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(3), pages 358-389.
- Marianne P. Bitler & Jonah B. Gelbach & Hilary W. Hoynes & Madeline Zavodny, 2002.
"The impact of welfare reform on marriage and divorce,"
2002-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Marianne Bitler & Jonah Gelbach & Hilary Hoynes & Madeline Zavodny, 2004. "The impact of welfare reform on marriage and divorce," Demography, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 213-236, May.
- Marianne P. Bitler & Jonah B. Gelbach & Hilary W. Hoynes & Madeline Zavodny, 2004. "The Impact of Welfare Reform on Marriage and Divorce," Working Papers 110, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Hilary Hoynes & Richard Blundell, 2001.
"Has "In-Work" Benefit Reform Helped the Labour Market?,"
NBER Working Papers
8546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Hilary W. Hoynes, 2004. "Has 'In-Work' Benefit Reform Helped the Labor Market?," NBER Chapters, in: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000, pages 411-460 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias & Costas Meghir & John Van Reenen, 2001. "Evaluating the employment impact of a mandatory job search assistance program," IFS Working Papers W01/20, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gabor Kezdi, 2005. "Robus Standard Error Estimation in Fixed-Effects Panel Models," Econometrics 0508018, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fce:doctra:0733. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.