Optimal Catastrophe Insurance with Multiple Catastrophes
This paper adopts a normative approach to catastrophe insurance. It addresses the question of how innovations in the design of insurance contracts could help resolve the capacity gap in the provision of insurance against natural catastrophes. It extends previous research with the same approach first by considering the case of "uncorrelated catastrophes", and second by combining the influence of catastrophes on claims amounts (severity risk) and on the probability of loss (frequency risk). We show that the menu of contracts proposed in previous research, where only one type of catastrophe is considered, is dominated by the menu of contracts proposed in this paper, taking into account the absence of correlation between catastrophes of different kinds.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 41 22 / 312 09 61
Fax: 41 22 / 312 10 26
Web page: http://www.swissfinanceinstitute.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Segal, Uzi & Spivak, Avia, 1990.
"First order versus second order risk aversion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 111-125, June.
- Eeckhoudt, L. & Gollier, C. & Schlesinger, H., 1996.
"The No Loss Offset Provision and the Attitude Towards Risk of a Risk-Neutral Firm,"
96.409, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1997. "The no-loss offset provision and the attitude towards risk of a risk-neutral firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 207-217, August.
- Garven, J. R. & H. Louberge, .
"Reinsurance, Taxes and Efficiency: A Contingent Claims Model of Insurance Market Equilibrium,"
010, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Garven, James R. & Louberge, Henri, 1996. "Reinsurance, Taxes, and Efficiency: A Contingent Claims Model of Insurance Market Equilibrium," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 74-93, January.
- James R. GARVEN & Henri Louberge, 1994. "Reinsurance, Taxes And Efficiency: A Contingent Claims Model Of Insurance Market Equilibrium," Finance 9404001, EconWPA.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Louberge, H. & Kellezi, E. & Gilli, M., 1999.
"Using Catastrophe-Linked Securities to Diversify Insurance Risk: a Financial Analysis of Cat Bonds,"
Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva
99.04, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Henri Louberge & Evis Kellezi & Manfred Gilli, 1999. "Using Catastrophe-Linked Securities to Diversity Insurance Risk: A Financial Analysis of Cat Bonds," Journal of Insurance Issues, Western Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 125-146.
- Schlesinger, Harris, 1999. "Decomposing catastrophic risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 95-101, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fam:rpseri:rp7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.