Industry-specific Real Effective Exchange Rates for Japan
In considering the empirical importance of the exchange rate on exporters' price competitiveness and producer profits in specific industries, the industry-specific real effective exchange rate (REER) is far more useful than the aggregate REER published by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Bank for International Settlements (BIS). The novelty of this study is to construct a new dataset of the industry-specific REER of the yen on a daily basis from 2005 to the present to provide a better indicator for the international price competitiveness of Japanese exporters. By conducting simulation analysis, we show whether recent fluctuations of the REER have been driven by various factors such as domestic and foreign price changes. By running a near-vector autoregression (VAR) estimation with block exogeneity, we demonstrate that Japanese exports of major machinery industries are affected not by the nominal exchange rate shock but by the world output fluctuations and the domestic price changes in Japan.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1999.
"Error Bands for Impulse Responses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1113-1156, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Sims and Zha(1999) "Error Bands for Impulse Responses"," Statistical Software Components RTZ00145, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1994. "Error Bands for Impulse Responses," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1085, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1995. "Error bands for impulse responses," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 95-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Zha, Tao, 1999. "Block recursion and structural vector autoregressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 291-316, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:12044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.