Formalizing the Informal Economy: Womenâ€™s Autonomous Self-Employment in Rural South India
This paper considers the effects of contemporary restructuring of women and menâ€™s employment in rural south India alongside ongoing efforts to recast Indiaâ€™s poor rural women as entrepreneurs. This study takes advantage of data from the year 2000 in the Indian National Sample Survey (NSS). [DSA Conference 2009: The new and old institutionalisms in development - testing and expanding their adequacy]. URL:[http://www.devstud.org.uk/aqadmin/media/uploads/4ab780381a04b_5-watson-dsa09.pdf].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khandker, Shahidur R., 2003.
"Microfinance and poverty - evidence using panel data from Bangladesh,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2945, The World Bank.
- Shahidur R. Khandker, 2005. "Microfinance and Poverty: Evidence Using Panel Data from Bangladesh," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 263-286.
- Elson, Diane, 1999. "Labor Markets as Gendered Institutions: Equality, Efficiency and Empowerment Issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 611-627, March.
- Harriss-White,Barbara, 2003. "India Working," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521007634, 1.
- Khandker, S.R., 1992. "Earnings, Occupational Choice, and Mobility in Segmented Labor Markets of India," World Bank - Discussion Papers 154, World Bank.
- Garikipati, Supriya, 2008. "The Impact of Lending to Women on Household Vulnerability and Women's Empowerment: Evidence from India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2620-2642, December.
- Mehrotra, Santosh & Biggeri, Mario, 2005. "Can industrial outwork enhance homeworkers' capabilities? Evidence from clusters in South Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1735-1757, October.
- Peck, Jamie, 2010.
"Constructions of Neoliberal Reason,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199580576, July.
- Breman,Jan, 1996. "Footloose Labour," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521560832, 1.
- Ha-Joon Chang, 2002. "Breaking the mould: an institutionalist political economy alternative to the neo-liberal theory of the market and the state," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(5), pages 539-559, September.
- Harriss-White,Barbara, 2003. "India Working," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521809795, 1.
- Breman,Jan, 1996. "Footloose Labour," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521568241, 1.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge, 1998.
"Microcredit And The Poorest Of The Poor: Theory And Evidence From Bolivia,"
Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers
28334, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-meza, Jorge, 2000. "Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 333-346, February.
- Shireen J. Jejeebhoy & Zeba A. Sathar, 2001. "Women's Autonomy in India and Pakistan: The Influence of Religion and Region," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 27(4), pages 687-712.
- Prugl, Elisabeth & Tinker, Irene, 1997. "Microentrepreneurs and homeworkers: Convergent categories," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1471-1482, September.
- Suman Ghosh & Ravi Kanbur, 2008.
"Male wages and female welfare: private markets, public goods, and intrahousehold inequality,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 42-56, January.
- Ghosh, Suman & Kanbur, Ravi, 2002. "Male Wages and Female Welfare: Private Markets, Public Goods, and Intrahousehold Inequality," Working Papers 127293, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Matin, Imran & Hulme, David, 2003. "Programs for the Poorest: Learning from the IGVGD Program in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 647-665, March.
- Paula Kantor, 2005. "Determinants Of Women'S Microenterprise Success In Ahmedabad, India: Empowerment And Economics," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 63-83.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4784. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.