ICTs and Urban Microenterprises: Identifying and Maximizing Opportunities for Economic Development
The research reported here was guided by three questions: (1) What are the current and potential patterns of mobile phone, landline, PC, and Internet cafÃ© use among urban microentrepreneurs? (2) Are mobile phones, PCs, and Internet cafÃ©s related to the stability or growth of urban microenterprises? (3) Can we identify those urban microentrepreneurs and/or microenterprises for which ICT use is associated with economic growth?
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steve Esselaar & Christoph Stork & Ali Ndiwalana & Mariama Deen-Swarray, 2007. "ICT Usage and Its Impact on Profitability of SMEs in 13 African Countries," Information Technologies and International Development, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 87-100, October.
- Jonathan Donner, 2004. "Microentrepreneurs and Mobiles: An Exploration of the Uses of Mobile Phones by Small Business Owners in Rwanda," Information Technologies and International Development, MIT Press, vol. 2(1), pages 1-21.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2008.
"The Unofficial Economy and Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
14520, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johannes P. Jütting & Jante Parlevliet & Theodora Xenogiani, 2008. "Informal Employment Re-loaded," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 266, OECD Publishing.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Mead, Donald C. & Liedholm, Carl, 1998. "The dynamics of micro and small enterprises in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 61-74, January.
- Richard Duncombe & Richard Heeks, 2002. "Enterprise across the digital divide: information systems and rural microenterprise in Botswana," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 61-74.
- Deepak Chawla & Ramesh Behl, 2006. "Perception Study of Cyber CafÃ© Users," Global Business Review, International Management Institute, vol. 7(1), pages 17-41, February.
- Jonathan Donner, 2009. "Blurring Livelihoods and Lives: The Social Uses of Mobile Phones and Socioeconomic Development," Innovations: Technology, Governance, Globalization, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 91-101, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2819. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.