Technical Change, International Competitiveness, and Role of the State: Indian Machine Tool Industry's Experience
The production of machine tools has long been associated with industrialisation besides a formidable factor of technical change and international competitiveness. This potent role of machine tool industry was amply recognised by several countries. As a consequence, they framed policies to influence the technical change and competitiveness of the industry. The present paper is an enquiry into the role of the state in India to see, whether the intervention led to generation of capabilities and an internationally competitive industry or not? [GIDR WP NO. 121].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pack, Howard & Westphal, Larry E., 1986. "Industrial strategy and technological change : Theory versus reality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 87-128, June.
- Kim, Linsu, 1999. "Building Technological Capability for Industrialization: Analytical Frameworks and Korea's Experience," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 111-36, March.
- Gambardella, Alfonso & Torrisi, Salvatore, 1998. "Does technological convergence imply convergence in markets? Evidence from the electronics industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 445-463, September.
- Amsden, Alice H., 1977. "The division of labour is limited by the type of market: The case of the Taiwanese machine tool industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 217-233, March.
- Stewart, Frances & Ghani, Ejaz, 1991. "How significant are externalities for development?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 569-594, June.
- Lee, Kong Rae, 1996. "The role of user firms in the innovation of machine tools: The Japanese case," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 491-507, June.
- Fransman, Martin, 1986. "International competitiveness, technical change and the state: The machine tool industry in Taiwan and Japan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(12), pages 1375-1396, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.