Local Factors and Innovativeness â€“ An Empirical Analysis of German Patents for Five Industries
A growing body of work emphasizes the role that the spatial component plays in the innovation process. These perspectives brought the region's infrastructure and its endowment with crucial factors into the focus of research. Given that these factors do significantly influence the innovativeness of local firms, it is important to identify precisely which regional characteristics matter. The aim of this paper is to identify a number of key influences out of a multitude of structural factors that are thought to influence the firm's innovation activity. We examine more than eighty variables that approximate the financial, geographical and social-economic factor endowment of a region. The variables are tested with a linear and log - linear model. The two staged procedure examines the variable's bivariate correlation with patent data of five industries. Based on these outcomes multivariate regression models are applied in the second stage. The results for the different models are compared and their advantages and disadvantages are discussed. We find a strong impact of economic agglomeration, extramural science institutions and human capital. In the case of human capital, especially the graduates at the technical colleges are collocated with high regional innovativeness. Furthermore, significant differences are observed for the five industries and for using the two models.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Deutschhausstrasse 10, 35032 Marburg|
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb19/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. Brenner, 2003.
"The Dependence of Innovativeness on the Local Firm Population - An Empirical Study of German Patents,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2003-06, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Thomas Brenner & Siegfried Greif, 2006. "The Dependence of Innovativeness on the Local Firm Population—An Empirical Study of German Patents," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 21-39.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998.
"Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1974, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B, 1998. "Agglomeration and the Location of Innovative Activity," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 18-29, Summer.
- Karl Brenke & Kurt Geppert & Rainer Hopf & Ingo Pfeiffer & Katharina C. Spieß & Dieter Vesper & Gert G. Wagner, 2002. "Bausteine für die Zukunft Berlins," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 69(10), pages 163-180.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999.
"Public research and industrial innovations in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:evopap:2005-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christoph Mengs)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Christoph Mengs to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.