A Concordance between Industries and Technologies Matching the technological fields of the Patentatlas to the German Industry Classification
The Patentatlas by Greif and Schmiedl (2002) represents an important source for patent data in Germany. Its use for industry-speciï¬ c studies is however problematic because the correct assignment of patent data classiï¬ ed by technological ï¬ elds to commonly used industry classiï¬ cations is unclear. This paper presents an application-oriented approach to this issue. In using industry-speciï¬ c R+D employment numbers on a regional level, an approximate concordance is developed between the 31 technological ï¬ elds of the Patentatlas and 21 manufacturing industries, as deï¬ ned by the German Industry Classiï¬ cation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Broekel & Thomas Brenner, 2005. "Local Factors and Innovativeness â€“ An Empirical Analysis of German Patents for Five Industries," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-09, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001.
"Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000. "Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001. "Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey," LIUC Papers in Economics 84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-970, December.
- Eckey, Hans-Friedrich & Schwengler, Barbara & Türck, Matthias, 2007. "Vergleich von deutschen Arbeitsmarktregionen," IAB Discussion Paper 200703, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1996. "Flows of Knowledge from Universities and Federal Labs: Modeling the Flowof Patent Citations Over Time and Across Institutional and Geographic Boundari," NBER Working Papers 5712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Broekel & Thomas Brenner, 2007. "Measuring Regional Innovativeness - A Methodological Discussion and an Application to One German Industry," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-065, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)