Financing High-Tech Growth: The Role of Debt or Equity
Using a data set of the firms listed on the Neuer Markt in Germany, this paper demonstrates that venture backed firms differ from firms with other financial resources, especially debt. Thus, the results of this study provide evidence for the hypothesis that small and innovative firms are more likely to be financed by venture capitalists instead of banks. We also provide evidence that the presence of venture capitalists enhance the growth rates of firms positively.
|Date of creation:||May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kahlaische Strasse 10, D-07745 Jena|
Phone: +49-3641-68 65
Fax: +49-3641-68 69 90
Web page: http://www.econ.mpg.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.econ.mpg.de/english/research/EGP/discuss.php Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2002.
"Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses,"
NBER Working Papers
8764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2004. "Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(5), pages 2177-2210, October.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2002. "Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," CEPR Discussion Papers 3243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Strömberg, Per, 2003. "Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," SIFR Research Report Series 14, Institute for Financial Research.
- Tykvová, Tereza, 2003. "Is the Behavior of German Venture Capitalists Different? Evidence from the Neuer Markt," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-44, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Str�mberg, 2003. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 281-315.
- Bates, Timothy, 1990. "Entrepreneur Human Capital Inputs and Small Business Longevity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(4), pages 551-59, November.
- Becker, Ralf & Hellmann, Thomas F., 2000.
"The Genesis of Venture Capital: Lessons from the German Experience,"
1705, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ralf Becker & Thomas Hellmann, 2003. "The Genesis of Venture Capital - Lessons from the German Experience," CESifo Working Paper Series 883, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cumming, Douglas J. & MacIntosh, Jeffrey G., 2003. "A cross-country comparison of full and partial venture capital exits," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 511-548, March.
- Masako Ueda, 2000.
"Bank versus venture capital,"
Economics Working Papers
522, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998.
"The Governance of the New Enterprise,"
CRSP working papers
487, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin, 2002. "Venture capital in Europe and the financing of innovative companies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 229-270, 04.
- Bascha, Andreas & Walz, Uwe, 2002. "Financing practices in the German venture capital industry: An empirical assessment," CFS Working Paper Series 2002/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:egpdis:2004-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kerstin SchÃ¼ck)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.