Financing High-Tech Growth: The Role of Debt or Equity
Using a data set of the firms listed on the Neuer Markt in Germany, this paper demonstrates that venture backed firms differ from firms with other financial resources, especially debt. Thus, the results of this study provide evidence for the hypothesis that small and innovative firms are more likely to be financed by venture capitalists instead of banks. We also provide evidence that the presence of venture capitalists enhance the growth rates of firms positively.
|Date of creation:||May 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kahlaische Strasse 10, D-07745 Jena|
Phone: +49-3641-68 65
Fax: +49-3641-68 69 90
Web page: http://www.econ.mpg.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.econ.mpg.de/english/research/EGP/discuss.php Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2000.
"Financial Contracting Theory Meets The Real World: An Empirical Analysis Of Venture Capital Contracts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2421, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2003. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 281-315.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," CRSP working papers 513, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," NBER Working Papers 7660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bascha, Andreas & Walz, Uwe, 2002. "Financing practices in the German venture capital industry: An empirical assessment," CFS Working Paper Series 2002/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Becker, Ralf & Hellmann, Thomas F., 2000.
"The Genesis of Venture Capital: Lessons from the German Experience,"
1705, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ralf Becker & Thomas Hellmann, 2003. "The Genesis of Venture Capital - Lessons from the German Experience," CESifo Working Paper Series 883, CESifo Group Munich.
- Masako Ueda, 2000.
"Bank versus venture capital,"
Economics Working Papers
522, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin, 2002. "Venture capital in Europe and the financing of innovative companies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 229-270, 04.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2002.
"Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2004. "Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(5), pages 2177-2210, October.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Strömberg, Per, 2003. "Characteristics, Contracts and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," SIFR Research Report Series 14, Institute for Financial Research.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2002. "Characteristics, Contracts, and Actions: Evidence from Venture Capitalist Analyses," NBER Working Papers 8764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998.
"The Governance of the New Enterprise,"
CRSP working papers
487, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Cumming, Douglas J. & MacIntosh, Jeffrey G., 2003. "A cross-country comparison of full and partial venture capital exits," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 511-548, March.
- Tykvová, Tereza, 2003. "Is the Behavior of German Venture Capitalists Different? Evidence from the Neuer Markt," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-44, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-984.
- Bates, Timothy, 1990. "Entrepreneur Human Capital Inputs and Small Business Longevity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(4), pages 551-559, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:egpdis:2004-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kerstin SchÃ¼ck)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.