Measuring nonresponse cross-nationally
This paper investigates the measurement of nonresponse outcomes across countries. It consists of three sections. Section one proposes a conceptual framework of influences on the response outcomes available for analysis. Section two develops a crossnational codeframe of response outcome codes. The last section investigates the impact that differential ways of deriving final case outcomes have on the estimated response, contact and cooperation rates. The results emphasise the importance of careful measurement of the nonresponse process for conclusions about the similarity and differences across countries in processes leading to nonresponse.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert M. Groves & Steven G. Heeringa, 2006. "Responsive design for household surveys: tools for actively controlling survey errors and costs," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 169(3), pages 439-457.
- Lynn, Peter & Clarke, Paul, 2001. "Separating refusal bias and non-contact bias: evidence from UK national surveys," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-24, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Blom, Annelies G. & Lynn, Peter & JÃ¤ckle, Annette, 2008. "Understanding cross-national differences in unit non-response: the role of contact data," ISER Working Paper Series 2008-01, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Lynn, Peter, 2001. "Developing quality standard for cross-national survey research: five approaches," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-21, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Lynn, Peter & Beerten, Roeland & Laiho, Johanna & Martin, Jean, 2001. "Recommended standard final outcome categories and standard definitions of response rate for social surveys," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-23, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2008-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.