Wage mobility in times of higher earnings disparities: is it easier to climd the ladder?
In this paper I study the earnings mobility in Poland and in the UK. Using both transition matrices and a wage mobility index I rst document changes in the overall wage mobility in Poland across time, then compare mobility patterns among Polish and British employees. I focus in particular on low wage workers and analyze their transitions within the earnings distribution and between diÂ¤erent labour market states. Finally, I demonstrate that changes in the earnings mobility in Poland do not seem to be linked to changes in the overall wage dispersion.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, Stephen & Bell, Brian, 1996. "Changes in the Distribution of Wages and Unemployment in OECD Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 302-08, May.
- Richard B. Freeman & Ronald Schettkat, 2000.
"Skill Compression, Wage Differentials and Employment: Germany vs. the US,"
NBER Working Papers
7610, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freeman, Richard & Schettkat, Ronald, 2001. "Skill Compression, Wage Differentials, and Employment: Germany vs the US," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 582-603, July.
- Sloane, P. J. & Theodossiou, I., . "An Econometric Analysis of Low Pay Earnings Mobility," Working Papers 98-05, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Weiss, Yoram, 1987. "The determination of life cycle earnings: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 603-640 Elsevier.
- Sloane, P J & Theodossiou, I, 1996. "Earnings Mobility, Family Income and Low Pay," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 657-66, May.
- Stewart, Mark B & Swaffield, Joanna K, 1999.
"Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(261), pages 23-42, February.
- Stewart, M.B. & Swaffield, J.K., 1997. "Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 495, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Pavlopoulos, Dimitris & Muffels, Ruud & Vermunt, Jeroen-K., 2005.
"Wage Mobility in Europe. A Comparative Analysis Using restricted Multinomial Logit Regression,"
229, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitris Pavlopoulos & Ruud Muffels & Jeroen Vermunt, 2010. "Wage mobility in Europe. A comparative analysis using restricted multinomial logit regression," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 115-129, January.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute, 2006. "Wage mobility: do institutions make a difference?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 387-404, June.
- Bigard, A & Guillotin, Y & Lucifora, C, 1998. "Earnings Mobility: An International Comparison of Italy and France," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(4), pages 535-54, December.
- Moshe Buchinsky & Jennifer Hunt, 1996.
"Wage Mobility in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
5455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2001.
"Earnings mobility among Italian low paid workers,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2001-13, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Autor, David H., 1999. "Changes in the wage structure and earnings inequality," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1463-1555 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2008-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Nears)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.