Wage mobility in times of higher earnings disparities: is it easier to climd the ladder?
In this paper I study the earnings mobility in Poland and in the UK. Using both transition matrices and a wage mobility index I rst document changes in the overall wage mobility in Poland across time, then compare mobility patterns among Polish and British employees. I focus in particular on low wage workers and analyze their transitions within the earnings distribution and between diÂ¤erent labour market states. Finally, I demonstrate that changes in the earnings mobility in Poland do not seem to be linked to changes in the overall wage dispersion.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ese:iserwp:2001-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stewart, M.B. & Swaffield, J.K., 1997.
"Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
495, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lorenzo Cappellari, 2007.
"Earnings mobility among Italian low-paid workers,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 465-482, April.
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Autor, David H., 1999. "Changes in the wage structure and earnings inequality," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1463-1555 Elsevier.
- Pavlopoulos, Dimitris & Muffels, Ruud & Vermunt, Jeroen-K., 2005.
"Wage Mobility in Europe. A Comparative Analysis Using restricted Multinomial Logit Regression,"
229, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitris Pavlopoulos & Ruud Muffels & Jeroen Vermunt, 2010. "Wage mobility in Europe. A comparative analysis using restricted multinomial logit regression," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 115-129, January.
- Nickell, Stephen & Bell, Brian, 1996. "Changes in the Distribution of Wages and Unemployment in OECD Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 302-08, May.
- Freeman, Richard & Schettkat, Ronald, 2001.
"Skill Compression, Wage Differentials, and Employment: Germany vs the US,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 582-603, July.
- Richard B. Freeman & Ronald Schettkat, 2000. "Skill Compression, Wage Differentials and Employment: Germany vs. the US," NBER Working Papers 7610, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moshe Buchinsky & Jennifer Hunt, 1999.
"Wage Mobility In The United States,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 351-368, August.
- Weiss, Yoram, 1987. "The determination of life cycle earnings: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 603-640 Elsevier.
- Sloane, P. J. & Theodossiou, I., . "An Econometric Analysis of Low Pay Earnings Mobility," Working Papers 98-05, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Bigard, A & Guillotin, Y & Lucifora, C, 1998. "Earnings Mobility: An International Comparison of Italy and France," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(4), pages 535-54, December.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute, 2006. "Wage mobility: do institutions make a difference?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 387-404, June.
- Sloane, P J & Theodossiou, I, 1996. "Earnings Mobility, Family Income and Low Pay," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 657-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2008-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Paul Groves to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.