Wage mobility in times of higher earnings disparities: is it easier to climd the ladder?
In this paper I study the earnings mobility in Poland and in the UK. Using both transition matrices and a wage mobility index I rst document changes in the overall wage mobility in Poland across time, then compare mobility patterns among Polish and British employees. I focus in particular on low wage workers and analyze their transitions within the earnings distribution and between diÂ¤erent labour market states. Finally, I demonstrate that changes in the earnings mobility in Poland do not seem to be linked to changes in the overall wage dispersion.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Autor, David H., 1999. "Changes in the wage structure and earnings inequality," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1463-1555 Elsevier.
- Sloane, P J & Theodossiou, I, 1996. "Earnings Mobility, Family Income and Low Pay," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 657-66, May.
- Moshe Buchinsky & Jennifer Hunt, 1996.
"Wage Mobility in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
5455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dimitris Pavlopoulos & Ruud Muffels & Jeroen Vermunt, 2010.
"Wage mobility in Europe. A comparative analysis using restricted multinomial logit regression,"
Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology,
Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 115-129, January.
- Pavlopoulos, Dimitris & Muffels, Ruud & Vermunt, Jeroen-K., 2005. "Wage Mobility in Europe. A Comparative Analysis Using restricted Multinomial Logit Regression," MPRA Paper 229, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute, 2006. "Wage mobility: do institutions make a difference?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 387-404, June.
- Lorenzo Cappellari, 2007.
"Earnings mobility among Italian low-paid workers,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 465-482, April.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2001. "Earnings mobility among Italian low paid workers," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-13, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2004. "Earnings Mobility Among Italian Low Paid Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 1068, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard B. Freeman & Ronald Schettkat, 2000.
"Skill Compression, Wage Differentials and Employment: Germany vs. the US,"
NBER Working Papers
7610, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freeman, Richard & Schettkat, Ronald, 2001. "Skill Compression, Wage Differentials, and Employment: Germany vs the US," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 582-603, July.
- Sloane, P. J. & Theodossiou, I., . "An Econometric Analysis of Low Pay Earnings Mobility," Working Papers 98-05, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Weiss, Yoram, 1987. "The determination of life cycle earnings: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 603-640 Elsevier.
- Bigard, A & Guillotin, Y & Lucifora, C, 1998. "Earnings Mobility: An International Comparison of Italy and France," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(4), pages 535-54, December.
- Stewart, M.B. & Swaffield, J.K., 1997.
"Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
495, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Bell, Brian, 1996. "Changes in the Distribution of Wages and Unemployment in OECD Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 302-08, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2008-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Paul Groves to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.