Labour supply modelling in Italy when Minimum Income Scheme is an option
In this paper we analyze the effects of Minimum Guaranteed Income (MGI) schemes on labour supply of Italian married couples by applying a behavioural micro-simulation tax-benefit model. The Tax-Benefit Model applied is the static micro-simulation model of EUROMOD. A household labour supply model is simulated with different tax rules where MGI is an option. The simulated tax regimes are Negative Income Tax (NIT), Workfare Tax (WF) and Universal Basic Income (UBI). These exercises of behavioural micro-simulation tax-benefit are performed at national and regional level. Our main finding is that changes in labour supply due to these tax-transfer rules are small and this is in favour of such income support policies. Concerning tax-transfer rules without hourâ€™s constraint, such as UBI and NIT, they imply labour disincentives more in the South than in the North of the country, and the effect is amplified with the increase of generosity level. Considering the welfare effects of these tax-transfer rules, we find that there are more â€œwinnersâ€ than â€œlosersâ€ in the south than in the north as there are more households participating in these MGI schemes due to their low income status.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: RAB Butler Building, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, ESSEX C04 3SQ|
Phone: +44 (0)1206 872957
Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/euromod/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaberge, Rolf & Colombino, Ugo & Strom, Steinar, 1999. "Labour Supply in Italy: An Empirical Analysis of Joint Household Decisions, with Taxes and Quantity Constraints," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 403-22, July-Aug..
- Immervoll, Herwig & O'Donoghue, Cathal, 2002.
"Welfare benefits and work incentives: an analysis of the distribution of net replacement rates in Europe using EUROMOD, a multi-country microsimulation model,"
EUROMOD Working Papers
EM4/01, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Herwig Immervoll & Cathal O'Donoghue, 2003. "Welfare Benefits and Work Incentives. An Analysis of the Distribution of Net Replacement Rates in Europe using EUROMOD, a Multi- Country Microsimulation Model," Labor and Demography 0302001, EconWPA.
- van Soest, Arthur & Das, Marcel & Gong, Xiaodong, 2002.
"A structural labour supply model with flexible preferences,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 345-374, March.
- van Soest, A.H.O. & Das, J.W.M. & Gong, X., 2001. "A structural labour supply model with flexible preferences," Other publications TiSEM 07a46b83-f128-4ea5-8498-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Massimo Baldini & Stefano Toso & Paolo Bosi, 2002. "Targeting welfare in Italy: old problems and perspectives on reform," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(1), pages 51-75, March.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Colombino, Ugo & Strøm, Steinar, 2003.
"Do More Equal Slices Shrink the Cake? An Empirical Investigation of Tax-Transfer Reform Proposals in Italy,"
37/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & Steinar Strøm, 2004. "Do more equal slices shrink the cake? An empirical investigation of tax-transfer reform proposals in Italy," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 17(4), pages 767-785, December.
- Duncan, Alan & Giles, Christopher, 1996. "Labour Supply Incentives and Recent Family Credit Reforms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 142-55, January.
- Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & John E. Roemer, 2001. "Equality of Opportunity versus Equality of Outcome in Analysing Optimal Income Taxation Empirical Evidence based on Italian Data," Discussion Papers 307, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Dagsvik, John K & Strom, Steinar, 1995. " Labor Supply Responses and Welfare Effects of Tax Reforms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 635-59, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:emodwp:em6-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Nears)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.