Developments in the Agricultural and Rural Capital Market of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
The undeveloped rural capital market in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is constrained by an urban–rural development gap, with limited capacities for rural development and imperfections in the rural capital market. Among the most striking hindrances are the illegal status of a large share of agricultural buildings and other real estate in rural areas, particularly on the individual family farms that prevail in the country, and the insufficient knowledge and abilities of individual farmers in applying for credit. National, EU and other donor funds are being used to improve knowledge, skills and other human resources, and to address the illegal status of buildings and facilities. During the most recent years, government support for agricultural, rural and regional development has been introduced to promote good agricultural practices, production and economic activity in rural areas. The elimination of imperfections and improvements to the functioning of the capital market – making access to credit and funds easier, especially for small-scale family farms and for rural development – are seen as measures contributing to agriculture and more balanced rural and regional development.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+322) 229-39-11
Fax: (+322) 229-39-71
Web page: http://www.ceps.euEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boucher, Steve & Carter, Micheal R. & Guirkinger, Catherine, 2005. "Risk Rationing and Wealth Effects in Credit Markets," Working Papers 190912, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Bojnec, Stefan, 2011. "Land Markets in the Three Candidate Countries of the EU," Working Papers 117482, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V & Udell, Gregory F, 1991. "Secured Lending and Default Risk: Equilibrium Analysis, Policy Implications and Empirical Results," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 458-72, May.
- Bester, Helmut, 1994.
"The Role of Collateral in a Model of Debt Renegotiation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(1), pages 72-86, February.
- Helmut Bester, 1990. "The Role of Collateral in a Model of Debt Renegotiation," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0001, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Bester, H., 1990. "The Role Of Collateral In A Model Of Debt Renegotiation," Papers 9060, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltán & Ferto, Imre & Fogarasi, József, 2009. "Investment and financial constraints in Hungarian agriculture," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(3), pages 122-124, September.
- Pietola, Kyösti & Myyrä, Sami & Heikkilä, Anna-Maija, 2011.
"The Penetration of Financial Instability in Agricultural Credit and Leveraging,"
Factor Markets Working Papers
97, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Pietola, Kyosti & Myyra, Sami & Heikkila, Anna-Maija, 2011. "The Penetration of Financial Instability in Agricultural Credit and Leveraging," Working Papers 117483, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Working Papers 2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Catherine Benjamin & Euan Phimister, 2002. "Does Capital Market Structure Affect Farm Investment? A Comparison using French and British Farm-Level Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1115-1129.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Carter, Michael R., 1988. "Equilibrium credit rationing of small farm agriculture," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 83-103, February.
- Štefan Bojnec & Laure Latruffe, 2011. "Financing availability and investment decisions of Slovenian farms during the transition to a market economy," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 297-317, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eps:fmwppr:110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Kaditi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.