Time-Varying Beta Estimators in the Mexican Emerging Market
This paper compares the performance of three different time-varying betas that have never previously been compared: the rolling OLS estimator, a nonparametric estimator and an estimator based on GARCH models. The study is conducted using returns from the Mexican stock market grouped into six portfolios for the period 2003-2009. The comparison, based on asset pricing perspective and mean-variance space returns, concludes that GARCH based beta estimators outperform the others when the comparison is in terms of time series while the nonparametric estimator is more appropriate in the cross-sectional context.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Lehendakari, Aguirre, 83, 48015 Bilbao|
Phone: + 34 94 601 3740
Fax: + 34 94 601 4935
Web page: http://www.ea3.ehu.es
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Econometría y Estadística, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2008.
"Time-varying beta risk of Pan-European industry portfolios: A comparison of alternative modeling techniques,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 771-802.
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2005. "Time-varying Beta Risk of Pan-European Industry Portfolios: A Comparison of Alternative Modeling Techniques," Finance 0510029, EconWPA.
- Lewellen, Jonathan & Nagel, Stefan, 2003.
"The Conditional CAPM Does Not Explain Asset-pricing Anomalies,"
4427-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Lewellen, Jonathan & Nagel, Stefan, 2006. "The conditional CAPM does not explain asset-pricing anomalies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 289-314, November.
- Jonathan Lewellen & Stefan Nagel, 2003. "The Conditional CAPM does not Explain Asset-Pricing Anamolies," NBER Working Papers 9974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis Kristensen & Andrew Ang, 2009.
"Testing Conditional Factor Models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-09, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Rodríguez Poo, Juan M. & Ferreira García, María Eva & Orbe Mandaluniz, Susan, 2001.
"Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions,"
2001-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Orbe, Susan & Ferreira, Eva & Rodriguez-Poo, Juan, 2005. "Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 53-77, May.
- Haerdle,Wolfgang & Hall,Peter & Marron,J., 1986. "How far are automatically chosen regression smoothing parametres from their optimum?," Discussion Paper Serie A 74, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Ferreira, Eva & Gil-Bazo, Javier & Orbe, Susan, 2011.
"Conditional beta pricing models: A nonparametric approach,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3362-3382.
- Orbe Mandaluniz, Susan & Ferreira García, María Eva & Gil Bazo, Javier, 2010. "Conditional beta pricing models: A nonparametric approach," BILTOKI 2010-10, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Lewellen, Jonathan & Nagel, Stefan & Shanken, Jay, 2010.
"A skeptical appraisal of asset pricing tests,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 175-194, May.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1847 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shanken, Jay, 1990. "Intertemporal asset pricing : An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 99-120.
- Maria Victoria Esteban & Susan Orbe-Mandaluniz, 2010. "A nonparametric approach for estimating betas: the smoothed rolling estimator," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(10), pages 1269-1279.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008.
"Multivariate GARCH models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-06, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007. "Multivariate GARCH models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 669, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2008.
- Li, Yan & Yang, Liyan, 2011. "Testing conditional factor models: A nonparametric approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 972-992.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:biltok:5283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.