Long and short memory conditional heteroskedasticity in estimating the memory parameter of levels
Semiparametric estimates of long memory seem useful in the analysis of long financial time series because they are consistent under much broader conditions than parametric estimates. However, recent large sample theory for semiparametric estimates forbids conditional heteroskedasticity. We show that a leading semiparametric estimate, the Gaussian or local Whittle one, can be consistent and have the same limiting distribution under conditional heteroskedasticity as under the conditional homoskedasticity assumed by Robinson (1995, Annals of Statistics 23, 1630–61). Indeed, noting that long memory has been observed in the squares of financial time series, we allow, under regularity conditions, for conditional heteroskedasticity of the general form introduced by Robinson (1991, Journal of Econometrics 47, 67–84), which may include long memory behavior for the squares, such as the fractional noise and autoregressive fractionally integrated moving average form, and also standard short memory ARCH and GARCH specifications.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Econometric Theory, June, 1999, 15(3), pp. 299-336. ISSN: 1469-4360|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: LSE Library Portugal Street London, WC2A 2HD, U.K.|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Sims,Christopher A. (ed.), 1994. "Advances in Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521444590, June.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Guido M. Kuersteiner, 1999. "Efficiency IV Estimation for Autoregressive Models with Conditional Heterogeneity," Working papers 99-08, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sims,Christopher A. (ed.), 1994. "Advances in Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521444606, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.