Differentiation of Social and Economic Situation in the Russian Regions and Problems of Regional Policy
While the Russian economy as a whole in 1990s was lagging behind other post-communist countries in terms of performance and restructuring, there were considerable variations in the performance of Russian regions. The author tried to examine the effect of policy variables and initial conditions on the dynamics of interregional differentiation. The study is based on a panel data of Russian regions for 1990-1996. As measured by the change in per-capita income and gross regional product (GRP), regional trajectories seem to diverge. Whereas the influence of short- and medium-term policy variables on interregional differentiation is found to be very limited, the factors that best account for the varying performance are those relating to the initial conditions. A low starting point in terms of GRP per capita, and the size of the services sector, and a high share of agriculture correspond to a below-average performance.
|Date of creation:||26 Oct 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellman M., 1994. "Transformation, Depression, and Economics: Some Lessons," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-21, August.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Tsui, Kai-yuen, 1996. "Economic reform and interprovincial inequalities in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 353-368, August.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1997.
"Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 81-102, March.
- anonymous, 1995. "Does the bouncing ball lead to economic growth?," Regional Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jul, pages 1-2, 4-6.
- Frank C. Lee, 1996. "Convergence in Canada?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 331-36, April.
- Chen, Jian & Fleisher, Belton M., 1996. "Regional Income Inequality and Economic Growth in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 141-164, April.
- Kornai Janos, 1994. "Transformational Recession: The Main Causes," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 39-63, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:99-09e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.