A Consistent Test for the Martingale Difference Assumption
This paper considers testing that an economic time series follows a martingale difference process. The martingale difference hypothesis has been typically tested using information contained in the second moments of a process, that is, using test statistics based on the sample autocovariances or in the periodograms. Tests based on these statistics are inconsistent since they just test necessary conditions of the null hypothesis. In this paper we consider tests that are consistent against all fixed alternatives and against Pitman's local alternatives. Since the asymptotic distributions of the tests statistics depend on the data generating process, the tests are implemented using a modification of the wild bootstrap procedure. The paper justifies theoretically the proposed tests and examines their finite sample behavior by means of Monte Carlo experiments. In addition we include an application to exchange rate data.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsieh, David A, 1989. "Testing for Nonlinear Dependence in Daily Foreign Exchange Rates," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 339-68, July.
- Bierens, H.J. & Ploberger, W., 1995.
"Asymptotic theory of integrated conditional moment tests,"
1995-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herman J. Bierens & Werner Ploberger, 1997. "Asymptotic Theory of Integrated Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1129-1152, September.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Spokoiny, Vladimir G., 1999. "An adaptive, rate-optimal test of a parametric model against a nonparametric alternative," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,10, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1997.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1097-1128, September.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Stinchcombe, Maxwell B. & White, Halbert, 1998. "Consistent Specification Testing With Nuisance Parameters Present Only Under The Alternative," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(03), pages 295-325, June.
- Lobato, Ignacio & Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 2001. "Testing for Autocorrelation Using a Modified Box-Pierce Q Test," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 187-205, February.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989.
"A consistent conditional moment test of functional form,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990. "A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-58, November.
- de Jong, Robert M., 1996. "The Bierens test under data dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 1-32.
- Hong, Yongmiao & White, Halbert, 1995. "Consistent Specification Testing via Nonparametric Series Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1133-59, September.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 1991.
"Spectral based testing of the martingale hypothesis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 355-376, December.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1992. "Spectral Based Testing of the Martingale Hypothesis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1984. "Model specification testing of time series regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 323-353, December.
- de Jong, R.M. & Bierens, H.J., 1994. "On the Limit Behavior of a Chi-Square Type Test if the Number of Conditional Moments Tested Approaches Infinity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 70-90, March.
- Hong, Yongmiao, 1996. "Consistent Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 837-64, July.
- Joel Horowitz, 2000. "An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0166, Econometric Society.
- Marron, J S, 1988. "Automatic Smoothing Parameter Selection: A Survey," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3/4), pages 187-208.
- Brooks, Chris & Hinich, Melvin J., 1999. "Cross-correlations and cross-bicorrelations in Sterling exchange rates," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 385-404, October.
- Delgado, Miguel A., 1993. "Testing the equality of nonparametric regression curves," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 199-204, June.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Spokoiny, Vladimir G., 1999. "An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative," Working Papers 99-02, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:0278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.