Bankruptcy in Credit Chains
When ﬁrms use bank oans and trade credit,bankruptcy rules can magnify aggregate ﬂuctuations.A priori,a rule where banks are senior is not appropriate to dampen ﬂuctuations.It might force trade creditors into bankruptcy by triggering a âdomino e ﬀect â-when ﬁrms go bust because their clients default.Yet,banks are often senior.In this paper,we characterize the conditions under which such a rule limits the likelihood of bankruptcies.We model a credit chain where in equilibrium ﬁrms use trade credit and bank loans.Due to the credit chain,bank seniority minimizes the overall risk premium charged by trade creditors and banks.Although bank seniority magni ﬁes the domino e ﬀect,we ﬁnd it is optimal whenever there is a relatively high proportion of bad risks
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.aspEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burkart, Mike & Ellingsen, Tore, 2002.
CEPR Discussion Papers
3536, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ferris, J Stephen, 1981. "A Transactions Theory of Trade Credit Use," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 243-70, May.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1997.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 661-91.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996. "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, . "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," CRSP working papers 322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Emery, Gary W., 1987. "An Optimal Financial Response to Variable Demand," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 209-225, June.
- Brennan, Michael J & Maksimovic, Vojislav & Zechner, Josef, 1988. " Vendor Financing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1127-41, December.
- Biais, Bruno & Gollier, Christian, 1997. "Trade Credit and Credit Rationing," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 903-37.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:nawm04:133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.