Likelihood Based Inference for amic Panel Data Models
This paper considers maximum likelihood (ML) based inferences for dynamic panel data models. We focus on the analysis of the panel data with a large number of cross-sectional units and a small number of repeated time-series observations for each cross-sectional unit. We examine several different ML estimators and their asymptotic and finite-sample properties. Our major finding is that when data follow unit-root processes, the ML estimators have singular information matrices. This is not a non-identification problem because the ML estimators are still consistent. Nonetheless, the estimators have nonstandard asymptotic distributions and their convergence rates are lower than N1/2. For this reason, the sizes of the Wald unit-root tests are severely distorted even asymptotically, and they reject the unit-root hypothesis too often. However, following Rotnitzky, Cox, Bottai and Robins (2000), we show that likelihood ratio (LR) tests for unit root follow mixtures of chi-square distributions. Our Monte Carlo experiments show that the LR tests are much better sized than the Wald tests, although they tend to slightly over-reject the unit root hypothesis in small samples. It is also shown that the LR tests have good finite-sample power properties
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsaio, Cheng & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Tahmiscioglu, A. Kamil, 1998.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Fixed Effects Dynamic Panel Data Models Covering Short Time Periods,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9826, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Hashem Pesaran, M. & Kamil Tahmiscioglu, A., 2002. "Maximum likelihood estimation of fixed effects dynamic panel data models covering short time periods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 107-150, July.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2002.
"On the Estimation of Panel Regression Models with Fixed Effects,"
450, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2002. "On the estimation of panel regression models with fixed effects," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C6-2, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1997. "Efficient estimation of dynamic panel data models: Alternative assumptions and simplified estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 309-321.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1999. "How informative is the initial condition in the dynamic panel model with fixed effects?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 309-326, December.
- Steve Bond & Frank Windmeijer, 2002.
"Finite sample inference for GMM estimators in linear panel data models,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP04/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond & Frank Windmeijer, 2002. "Finite Sample Inference for GMM Estimators in Linear Panel Data Models," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C6-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Linear Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects," Working Papers 458, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:feam04:669. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.