Price Adjustment with Price Conjectures
We derive a measure of firm speed of price adjustment that is directly inversely related to market power and compare this to the measure derived by Martin (1993). However, both measures are incorrect when firms have price conjectural variations. This is because Taylor expansions of the demand function implicitly assume that firms influence the level of competing prices in a way that is consistent with their conjectures
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin, Christopher, 1993. "Price adjustment and market structure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 139-143.
- Yetman, James, 2003. "Fixed prices versus predetermined prices and the equilibrium probability of price adjustment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 421-427, September.
- Jacqueline Dwyer & Kenneth Leong, 2001. "Changes in the determinants of inflation in Australia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Empirical studies of structural changes and inflation, volume 3, pages 1-28 Bank for International Settlements.
- Kenneth Kasa, 1998. "Identifying the source of dynamics in disaggregated import data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 305-320.
- Harry Bloch & Michael Olive, 2003. "Influences on Pricing and Markup in Segmented Manufacturing Markets," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 87-107, March.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Sticky Prices in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1187-1211, December.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:ausm04:131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.