Alliance Structure and Success in the Global Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation
In this paper, we investigate the use of horizontal distribution alliances (HDAs) in the international airline industry. Airlines enter these alliances to effectively meet the needs of passengers in new and expanding markets. We apply transaction cost analysis (TCA) to develop a conceptual framework explaining the use of HDAs. From analyzing primary and secondary data, our results indicate that TCA is a viable theory for predicting the formation and success of an HDA.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.business.uiuc.edu/Working_Papers/Main.asp|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Preet S Aulakh & Masaaki Kotabe, 1997. "Antecedents and Performance Implications of Channel Integration in Foreign Markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 145-175, March.
- John, George & Weitz, Barton A, 1988. "Forward Integration into Distribution: An Empirical Test of Transaction Cost Analysis," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 337-55, Fall.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- W Chan Kim & Peter Hwang, 1992. "Global Strategy and Multinationals' Entry Mode Choice," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 29-53, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:illbus:04-0113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.