Restoring Stability to Europe
The eurozone is in political and economic crisis. This is due to the inadequate design of the institutional structure of the eurozone and to the current poor implementation of macroeconomic policy. In designing the eurozone, well established principles of economics were ignored and major decisions were based primarily upon political considerations. Thus it was only a matter of time before these defects would become apparent. In addressing the current crisis that has developed policy makers have misdiagnosed the causes of the crisis and implemented solutions that are largely counterproductive to solving it. This paper describes the underlying factors that led to the inadequate design and improper macroeconomic response and explains what will be necessary in order to create an institutional structure and macroeconomic policy framework that can restore economic stability and growth to the region.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in UNECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2012_3|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Palais des Nations, CH - 1211 Geneva 10|
Phone: +4122 917 44 44
Fax: +4122 917 05 05
Web page: http://www.unece.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Israel Malkin & Fernanda Nechio, 2012. "U.S. and euro-area monetary policy by regions," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue feb27.
- Shelburne Robert C, 2005.
"Is Europe Sick?,"
Global Economy Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(3), pages 1-37, September.
- Robert Shelburne, 2005. "Is Europe Sick?," International Trade and Finance Association Conference Papers 1027, International Trade and Finance Association.
- Yeyati, Eduardo Levy & Panizza, Ugo, 2011.
"The elusive costs of sovereign defaults,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 95-105, January.
- Ugo Panizza & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "The Elusive Costs of Sovereign Defaults," Research Department Publications 4485, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ugo Panizza & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "The Elusive Costs of Sovereign Defaults," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6713, Inter-American Development Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ece:dispap:2012_3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.