Crowding-out or co-existence? the competitive position of EU members and China in global merchandise trade
In this paper, we analyse export competition between individual EU Member States and China in third-country goods markets. We find that competitive pressure from China is strongest for small and peripheral EU members, especially for the Southern periphery, Ireland and Central, Eastern and South-eastern European EU members. While we find no hard evidence for "cut-throat" competition between China and EU countries, we see an increasing tendency of smaller EU exporters leaving markets that are increasingly served by China. We base our findings on traditional market share analysis, the exploration of intensive versus extensive margin export growth and on a Dynamic Trade Link Analysis. The latter, a newly developed tool, identifies different types of competitive pressure at the detailed product-destination market level. We use UN Comtrade data at the highest level of disaggregation (6-digit HS) for 75 world exporters and importers over the period 2000-2011. JEL Classification: F14, F15, O57
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2014.
"European export performance,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 25-58, February.
- Cheptea, A. & Fontagné, L. & Zignago, S., 2012. "European Export Performance," Working papers 393, Banque de France.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2012. "European Export Performance," Working Papers 2012-19, CEPII research center.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "European Export Performance," Working Papers 2010-12, CEPII research center.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2014. "European Export Performance," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00975534, HAL.
- Andrew K. Rose & T. D. Stanley, 2005.
"A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade ,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 347-365, 07.
- Andrew Rose, 2004. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade," NBER Working Papers 10373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2003. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 4341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2007.
"The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-out Fear Warranted?,"
Departmental Working Papers
2007-10, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2009. "The Rise of China and East Asian Export Performance: Is the Crowding-Out Fear Warranted?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 234-266, 02.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2004.
"The World Market: Market Shares and Export Performances,"
La Lettre du CEPII,
CEPII research center, issue 231.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2005. "World Trade Competitiveness: A Disaggregated View by Shift-Share Analysis," Working Papers 2005-23, CEPII research center.
- Flam, Harry & Nordström, Håkan, 2006. "Trade Volume Effects of the Euro: Aggregate and Sector Estimates," Seminar Papers 746, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- repec:lmu:muenar:20646 is not listed on IDEAS
- Silgoner, Maria & Steiner, Katharina & Wörz, Julia & Schitter, Christian, 2013.
"Fishing in the same pool? export strengths and competitiveness of China and CESEE in the EU-15 Market,"
Working Paper Series
1559, European Central Bank.
- Christian Schitter & Maria Silgoner & Katharina Steiner & Julia Wörz, 2012. "Fishing in the same pool: Export strengths and competitiveness of China and CESEE at the EU-15 Market," FIW Working Paper series 096, FIW.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Kohler, Wilhelm K., 2006.
"Exploring the intensive and extensive margins of world trade,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20610, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Wilhelm Kohler, 2006. "Exploring the Intensive and Extensive Margins of World Trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 642-674, December.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "Exploring the Intensive and Extensive Margins of World Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 1276, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mary Amiti & Caroline Freund, 2010.
"The Anatomy of China's Export Growth,"
in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 35-56
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas J. Prusa, 2007.
"The Role of Extensive and Intensive Margins and Export Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
13628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2011. "The role of extensive and intensive margins and export growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 371-379, November.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1994. "New Product Varieties and the Measurement of International Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 157-77, March.
- Konstantīns Beņkovskis, 2012.
"Competitiveness of Latvia's exporters,"
Baltic Journal of Economics,
Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 12(2), pages 17-45, December.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2011.
"The quality and variety of exports from the new EU member states,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(4), pages 723-747, October.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2010. "The Quality and Variety of Exports from New EU Member States: Evidence from Very Disaggregated Data," Working Papers 2010/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Skudelny, Frauke & Taglioni, Daria, 2005. "Trade effects of the euro: evidence from sectoral data," Working Paper Series 0446, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20131617. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.