Mean-semivariance behavior (II): The D-CAPM
For over 30 years academics and practitioners have been debating the merits of the CAPM. One of the characteristics of this model is that it measures risk by beta, which follows from an equilibrium in which investors display mean-variance behavior. In that framework, risk is assessed by the variance of returns, a questionable and restrictive measure of risk. The semivariance of returns is a more plausible measure of risk and can be used to generate an alternative behavioral hypothesis (mean-semivariance behavior), an alternative measure of risk for diversified investors (the downside beta), and an alternative pricing model (the D-CAPM). The empirical evidence discussed in this article for the entire MSCI database of developed and emerging markets clearly supports the downside beta and the D-CAPM over beta and the CAPM.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Hogan, William W. & Warren, James M., 1974. "Toward the Development of an Equilibrium Capital-Market Model Based on Semivariance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 1-11, January.
- Harlow, W. V. & Rao, Ramesh K. S., 1989. "Asset Pricing in a Generalized Mean-Lower Partial Moment Framework: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 285-311, September.
- Markowitz, Harry M, 1991.
" Foundations of Portfolio Theory,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 469-77, June.
- René M. Stulz, 1995. "Globalization Of Capital Markets And The Cost Of Capital: The Case Of Nestlé," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(3), pages 30-38.
- Rene M. Stulz, 1999. "Globalization of Equity Markets and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 7021, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy, H & Markowtiz, H M, 1979. "Approximating Expected Utility by a Function of Mean and Variance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 308-17, June.
- Estrada, Javier, 2002. "Systematic risk in emerging markets: the," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 365-379, December.
- Bawa, Vijay S. & Lindenberg, Eric B., 1977. "Capital market equilibrium in a mean-lower partial moment framework," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 189-200, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:iesewp:d-0493. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noelia Romero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.