Unanimity and the aggregation of multiple prior opinions
Author's abstract. In a situation of decision under uncertainty, a decision maker wishes to choose according to the maxmin expected utility rule, and he can observe the preferences of a set of experts who all share his utility function and all use the maxmin EU rule. This paper considers rules for aggregating the experts’ sets of priors into a set that the decision maker can use. It is shown that, in a multi profile setting, among the rules that allow the decision maker’s evaluation of an act to depend only on the experts'evaluations of that act, the only rule satisfying the standard unanimity or Pareto condition on preferences is the “set of weights” aggregation rule, according to which the decision maker’s set of priors is the set of weighted averages of the priors in the experts’ sets, with the weights taken from a set of probability vectors over the experts. An analogous characterisation is obtained for variational preferences.
|Date of creation:||19 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEC Paris, 78351 Jouy-en-Josas cedex, France|
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00266049 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2006.
"Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1447-1498, November.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2004. "Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 12, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Hervé Crès & Itzhak Gilboa & Nicolas Vieille, 2011.
"Aggregation of multiple prior opinions,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Andrew Postlewaite & David Schmeidler, 2009.
"Is It Always Rational to Satisfy Savage's Axioms?,"
- Mongin Philippe, 1995.
"Consistent Bayesian Aggregation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 313-351, August.
- MONGIN, Philippe, 1993. "Consistent Bayesian Aggregation," CORE Discussion Papers 1993019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mongin, P., . "Consistent Bayesian aggregation," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1176, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2009.
"Decisions with conflicting and imprecise information,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
27005, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2013. "Decisions with conflicting and imprecise information," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 41(2), pages 427-452, July.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2013. "Decisions with conflicting and imprecise information," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00443075, HAL.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Dov Samet & David Schmeidler, 2001.
"Utilitarian Aggregation of Beliefs and Tastes,"
Game Theory and Information
- Gajdos, T. & Tallon, J.-M. & Vergnaud, J.-C., 2008.
"Representation and aggregation of preferences under uncertainty,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 68-99, July.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2008. "Representation and aggregation of preferences under uncertainty," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00266049, HAL.
- Hill, Brian, 2013. "Confidence and decision," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 675-692.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:heccah:0959. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.