Pricing kernels and dynamic portfolios
We investigate the structure of the pricing kernels in a general dynamic investment setting by making use of their duality with the self financing portfolios. We generalize the variance bound on the intertemporal marginal rate of substitution introduced in Hansen and Jagannathan (1991) along two dimensions, first by looking at the variance of the pricing kernels over several trading periods, and second by studying the restrictions imposed by the market prices of a set of securities. The variance bound is the square of the optimal Sharpe ratio which can be achieved through a dynamic self financing strategy. This Sharpe ratio may be further enhanced by investing dynamically in some additional securities. We exhibit the kernel which yields the smallest possible increase in optimal dynamic Sharpe ratio while agreeing with the current market quotes of the additional instruments.
|Date of creation:||16 Aug 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEC Paris, 78351 Jouy-en-Josas cedex, France|
Web page: http://www.hec.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991.
"Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-262, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," NBER Technical Working Papers 0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Theil, Henri, 1983. "Linear algebra and matrix methods in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics,in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-65 Elsevier.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1997. " Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 557-590, June.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994. "Assessing specification errors in stochastic discount factor models," Staff Report 167, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1994. "Assessing Specification Errors in Stochastic Discount Factor Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cern›, Ales, 2002. "Generalized Sharpe Ratios and Asset Pricing in Incomplete Markets," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 41, Royal Economic Society.
- John H. Cochrane & Jesus Saa-Requejo, 2000. "Beyond Arbitrage: Good-Deal Asset Price Bounds in Incomplete Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(1), pages 79-119, February.
- John H. Cochrane & Jesus Saa-Requejo, 1996. "Beyond Arbitrage: "Good-Deal" Asset Price Bounds in Incomplete Markets," NBER Working Papers 5489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H. Cochrane & Jesús Saá-Requejo, 1998. "Beyond Arbitrage: "Good-Deal" Asset Price Bounds in Incomplete Markets," CRSP working papers 430, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Longarela, Iñaki R., 2001. "An Extension of Good-Deal Asset Price Bounds," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0448, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 19 Oct 2001.
- HENROTTE, Philippe, 2001. "Dynamic mean-variance analysis," Les Cahiers de Recherche 729, HEC Paris.
- Geert Bekaert, 2004. "Conditioning Information and Variance Bounds on Pricing Kernels," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 339-378.
- Geert Bekaert & Jun Liu, 1999. "Conditioning Information and Variance Bounds on Pricing Kernels," NBER Working Papers 6880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:heccah:0768. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.