Industrial Agglomeration and Industrial Policies : The Philippine Experience
In the relatively new body of ideas dubbed new economic geography and spatial economics, we find insights on the potentials of industrial agglomeration for regional and national economic development. This paper looked into the evolution of industrial development in the country as a means of elucidating the centripetal and centrifugal forces leading to agglomeration of firms and investments. A micro perspective was provided with the case study extended into the prime region in the country, Greater Manila Area. It was found that industrial agglomeration in the country takes the form of special economic zones and industry clusters, indicating that the government is taking the route towards regional dispersal of industries and the clustering strategy to spur industrial dynamism and competitiveness and consequently, regional and national economic development.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2006.
"FDI Investment Incentive System and FDI Inflows : The Philippine Experience,"
Finance Working Papers
22335, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2008. "FDI Investment Incentive System and FDI Inflows: the Philippine Experience," Research Paper Series RPS 2007-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2006. "FDI Investment Incentive System and FDI Inflows: The Philippine Experience," Discussion Papers DP 2006-20, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Jenny D. Balboa & Erlinda M. Medalla, 2006. "State of Trade and Investments in the Philippines," Trade Working Papers 22612, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Herrin, Alejandro N. & Pernia, Ernesto M., 1986. "Factors Affecting the Choice of Location: A Survey of Foreign and Local Firms in the Philippines," Working Papers WP 1986-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Austria, Myrna S., 1998. "The Emerging Philippine Investment Environment," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1998 Vol. XXV No. 1-b, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Patalinghug, Epictetus, 2003. "The Philippine National Innovation System: Structure and Characteristics," Discussion Papers DP 2003-04, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lamberte, Mario B., 1988. "Science and Technology and Economic Development," Working Papers WP 1988-28, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:develo:22681. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.