FDI Investment Incentive System and FDI Inflows : The Philippine Experience
This paper examines the countrys investment incentive program for foreign investors and its success in attracting substantial FDI inflows. The analysis compares the FDI incentive system and FDI performance of the Philippines with other Asian countries. Since it is difficult to untangle the effect of tax incentives from other factors, the analysis also takes into account other factors such as level of competitiveness, costs of doing business and availability of infrastructure.Our experience tends to suggest that in the absence of fundamental factors such as economic conditions and political climate, tax incentives alone are not enough to generate a substantial effect on investment decisions of investors nor can they compensate for the eficiencies in the investment environment.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis T., Jr. Wells & Nancy J. Allen & Jacques Morisset & Neda Pirnia, 2001. "Using Tax Incentives to Compete for Foreign Investment : Are They Worth the Costs?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13979, September.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2003.
"The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives,"
EIJS Working Paper Series
168, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 2003. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives," NBER Working Papers 9489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2003. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives," CEPR Discussion Papers 3775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Hines Jr., 1993.
"Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America,"
NBER Working Papers
4397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hines, James R, Jr, 1996. "Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1076-94, December.
- Robert J Rolfe & David A Ricks & Martha M Pointer & Mark McCarthy, 1993. "Determinants of FDI Incentive Preferences of MNEs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 335-355, June.
- Benjamin E. Diokno, 2005. "Reforming the Philippine Tax System: Lessons from Two Tax Reform Programs," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 200502, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Gordon H. HANSON, 2001. "Should Countries Promote Foreign Direct Investment?," G-24 Discussion Papers 9, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:financ:22335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.