Economic Impact of International Migration and Remittances on Philippine Households : What We Thought We Knew, What We Need to Know
Several studies on the impact of international migration and remittances on household outcomes have been released recently. Many were found to have conflicting results. This paper attempts to shed light on the conflicting results by reviewing the empirical studies that use large scale and nationally representative data sets from the Philippines. The focus on these types of studies was deliberate so that sample size problems are minimized and particular attention can be given to the methodologies used in appreciating the results. The main purpose of the review is to highlight the differences in the methodologies employed and their implications on the results.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dean Yang & HwaJung Choi, 2005.
"Are Remittances Insurance? Evidence from Rainfall Shocks in the Philippines,"
535, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- HwaJung Choi, 2007. "Are Remittances Insurance? Evidence from Rainfall Shocks in the Philippines," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 219-248, May.
- Dean Yang, 2006.
"International Migration, Remittances, and Household Investment: Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Exchange Rate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
12325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dean Yang, 2008. "International Migration, Remittances and Household Investment: Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Exchange Rate Shocks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 591-630, 04.
- David McKenzie & Hillel Rapoport, 2006.
"Migration and Education Inequality in Rural Mexico,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
9392, Inter-American Development Bank.
- David McKenzie & Hillel Rapoport, 2006. "Migration and education inequality in rural Mexico," INTAL Working Papers 1446, Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL.
- Michael Lokshin & Mikhail Bontch-Osmolovski & Elena Glinskaya, 2010.
"Work-Related Migration and Poverty Reduction in Nepal,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 323-332, 05.
- Lokshin, Michael & Bontch-Osmolovski, Mikhail & Glinskaya, Elena, 2007. "Work-related migration and poverty reduction in Nepal," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4231, The World Bank.
- Claudia Martínez Alvear & Dean Yang, 2007. "Remittances and Poverty in Migrants’ Home Areas: Evidence from the Philippines," Working Papers wp257, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:develo:22673. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.