Cross Validated SNP Density Estimates
We consider cross-validation strategies for the SNP nonparametric density estimator, which is a truncation (or sieve) estimator based upon a Hermite series expansion. Our main focus is on the use of SNP density estimators as an adjunct to EMM structural estimation. It is known that for this purpose a desirable truncation point occurs at the last point at which the MSE curve of the SNP density estimate declines abruptly. We study the determination of the MSE curve on a per sample basis for iid data by means of leave-one-out cross-validation and hold-out-sample cross-validation through an examination of their performance over the Marron-Wand test suite and models related to asset pricing and auction applications. We find that both methods are informative as to the location of abrupt drops. The hold-out-sample method is cheaper to compute because it requires fewer nonlinear optimizations. The minimum of the hold-out-sample cross-validation curve also seems to be a better indicator of the minimum of the true MSE curve. We consider the asymptotic justification of hold-out-sample cross-validation. For this purpose, we establish rates of convergence of the SNP estimator under the Hellinger norm that are of interest in their own right.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics Duke University 213 Social Sciences Building Box 90097 Durham, NC 27708-0097|
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Ming, 2000. "Modeling long memory in stock market volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 139-171, November.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996.
Cahiers de recherche
9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Ossard, Hervé & Vuong, Quang, 1991.
"Econometrics of First-Price Auctions,"
IDEI Working Papers
7, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
- Mikhail Chernov & A. Ronald Gallant & Eric Ghysels & George Tauchen, 2002.
"Alternative Models for Stock Price Dynamics,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Chumacero Rómulo A., 1997.
"Finite Sample Properties of the Efficient Method of Moments,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-19, July.
- Romulo Chumacero, "undated". "Finite Sample Properties of the Efficient Method of Moments," Computing in Economics and Finance 1997 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- Eastwood, Brian J. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1991. "Adaptive Rules for Seminonparametric Estimators That Achieve Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 307-340, September.
- Xiaohong Chen & Xiaotong Shen, 1998. "Sieve Extremum Estimates for Weakly Dependent Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 289-314, March.
- Fenton, Victor M. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996.
"Qualitative and asymptotic performance of SNP density estimators,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 77-118, September.
- Victor Fenton & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996. "Qualitative and Asymptotic Performance of SNP Density Estimators," Working Papers 96-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ronald Gallant, A. & Tauchen, George, 1999. "The relative efficiency of method of moments estimators1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 149-172, September.
- Alexander Michaelides & Serena Ng, 1997.
"Estimating the Rational Expectations Model of Speculative Storage: A Monte Carlo Comparison of Three Simulation Estimators,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
373, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michaelides, Alexander & Ng, Serena, 2000. "Estimating the rational expectations model of speculative storage: A Monte Carlo comparison of three simulation estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 231-266, June.
- Alexander Michaelides & Serena Ng, 2000. "Estimating the rational expectations model of speculative storage : a Monte Carlo comparison of three simulation estimators," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 198, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Gallant, A.R. & Tauchen, G., 1988.
"Seminonparametric Estimation Of Conditionally Constrained Heterogeneous Processes: Asset Pricing Applications,"
88-59, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Gallant, Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1989. "Seminonparametric Estimation of Conditionally Constrained Heterogeneous Processes: Asset Pricing Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1091-1120, September.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Chung, Hyung-Jin & Sorensen, Bent E., 1999. "Efficient method of moments estimation of a stochastic volatility model: A Monte Carlo study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 61-87, July.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsu, Chien-Te & Tauchen, George, 2000.
"Using Daily Range Data to Calibrate Volatility Diffusions and Extract the Forward Integrated Variance,"
00-04, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- A. Ronald Gallant & Chien-Te Hsu & George Tauchen, 1999. "Using Daily Range Data To Calibrate Volatility Diffusions And Extract The Forward Integrated Variance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 617-631, November.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:duk:dukeec:00-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.