Cross Validated SNP Density Estimates
We consider cross-validation strategies for the SNP nonparametric density estimator, which is a truncation (or sieve) estimator based upon a Hermite series expansion. Our main focus is on the use of SNP density estimators as an adjunct to EMM structural estimation. It is known that for this purpose a desirable truncation point occurs at the last point at which the MSE curve of the SNP density estimate declines abruptly. We study the determination of the MSE curve on a per sample basis for iid data by means of leave-one-out cross-validation and hold-out-sample cross-validation through an examination of their performance over the Marron-Wand test suite and models related to asset pricing and auction applications. We find that both methods are informative as to the location of abrupt drops. The hold-out-sample method is cheaper to compute because it requires fewer nonlinear optimizations. The minimum of the hold-out-sample cross-validation curve also seems to be a better indicator of the minimum of the true MSE curve. We consider the asymptotic justification of hold-out-sample cross-validation. For this purpose, we establish rates of convergence of the SNP estimator under the Hellinger norm that are of interest in their own right.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995.
95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gallant, Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1989.
"Seminonparametric Estimation of Conditionally Constrained Heterogeneous Processes: Asset Pricing Applications,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1091-1120, September.
- Gallant, A.R. & Tauchen, G., 1988. "Seminonparametric Estimation Of Conditionally Constrained Heterogeneous Processes: Asset Pricing Applications," Papers 88-59, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Victor Fenton & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996.
"Qualitative and Asymptotic Performance of SNP Density Estimators,"
96-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Fenton, Victor M. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996. "Qualitative and asymptotic performance of SNP density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 77-118, September.
- Liu, Ming, 2000. "Modeling long memory in stock market volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 139-171, November.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
- Alexander Michaelides & Serena Ng, 1997.
"Estimating the Rational Expectations Model of Speculative Storage: A Monte Carlo Comparison of Three Simulation Estimators,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
373, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michaelides, Alexander & Ng, Serena, 2000. "Estimating the rational expectations model of speculative storage: A Monte Carlo comparison of three simulation estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 231-266, June.
- Alexander Michaelides & Serena Ng, 2000. "Estimating the rational expectations model of speculative storage : a Monte Carlo comparison of three simulation estimators," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 198, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Chumacero Rómulo A., 1997.
"Finite Sample Properties of the Efficient Method of Moments,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-19, July.
- Romulo Chumacero, . "Finite Sample Properties of the Efficient Method of Moments," Computing in Economics and Finance 1997 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- Xiaohong Chen & Xiaotong Shen, 1998. "Sieve Extremum Estimates for Weakly Dependent Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 289-314, March.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Ossard, Hervé & Vuong, Quang, 1991.
"Econometrics of First-Price Auctions,"
IDEI Working Papers
7, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- A. Ronald Gallant & Chien-Te Hsu & George Tauchen, 1999.
"Using Daily Range Data To Calibrate Volatility Diffusions And Extract The Forward Integrated Variance,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 617-631, November.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsu, Chien-Te & Tauchen, George, 2000. "Using Daily Range Data to Calibrate Volatility Diffusions and Extract the Forward Integrated Variance," Working Papers 00-04, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mikhail Chernov & A. Ronald Gallant & Eric Ghysels & George Tauchen, 2002.
"Alternative Models for Stock Price Dynamics,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Andersen, Torben G. & Chung, Hyung-Jin & Sorensen, Bent E., 1999. "Efficient method of moments estimation of a stochastic volatility model: A Monte Carlo study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 61-87, July.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Ronald Gallant, A. & Tauchen, George, 1999. "The relative efficiency of method of moments estimators1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 149-172, September.
- Eastwood, Brian J. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1991. "Adaptive Rules for Seminonparametric Estimators That Achieve Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 307-340, September.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:duk:dukeec:00-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.