Imperfect competition, government spending and estimated markup
This paper is an empirical study that aims at explaining economic fluctuations and behavior mark-up. Inspired by the method of Roeger (1995), we perform a study of four OECD countries (Denmark, Finland, Italy and the United States) for 17 manufacturing industries covering the period 1986-2008. This study provides a comparison between our estimates of mark-up and other observations on mark-up pricing (Oliveira, Scarpetta and Pilat (1996), Roger (1995) and Rotemberg and Woodford (1992)). It also provides an interpretation of the estimated markups that depend on the type of market structure. An application of a VAR model is used to examine the relationship between imperfect competition and the effects fiscal policy on output and mark-up, based on the method of Rotemberg and Woodford (1999).
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas SEEGMULLER, 2004.
"Concurrence imparfaite, variabilité du taux de marge et fluctuations endogènes,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2003042, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Thomas Seegmuller, 2003. "Concurrence imparfaite, variabilité du taux de marge et fluctuations endogènes," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 69(4), pages 371-386.
- Thomas Seegmuller, 2001. "Concurrence Imparfaite, Variabilité du Taux de Marge et Fluctuations Endogènes," Working Papers of BETA 2001-21, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Gali, Jordi, 1994.
"Monopolistic competition, endogenous markups, and growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 748-756, April.
- Jordi Galí, 1993. "Monopolistic competition, endogenous markups and growth," Economics Working Papers 44, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert King, 1997.
"The New Neoclassical Synthesis and the Role of Monetary Policy,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1997, Volume 12, pages 231-296
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1998. "The new neoclassical synthesis and the role of monetary policy," Working Paper 98-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Silvestre, Joaquim, 1993.
"The Market-Power Foundations of Macroeconomic Policy,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 105-41, March.
- Silvestre, J., 1991. "The Market-Power Foundations of Macroeconomic Policy," Papers 374, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 1998.
"Optimal taxation of capital income with imperfectly competitive product markets,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
98-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Guo, Jang-Ting & Lansing, Kevin J., 1999. "Optimal taxation of capital income with imperfectly competitive product markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 967-995, June.
- Afonso, António & Furceri, Davide, 2008.
"Government size, composition, volatility and economic growth,"
Working Paper Series
0849, European Central Bank.
- Afonso, António & Furceri, Davide, 2010. "Government size, composition, volatility and economic growth," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 517-532, December.
- António Afonso & Davide Furceri, 2008. "Government Size, Composition, Volatility and Economic Growth," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/04, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- António Afonso & Luís F. Costa, 2013.
"Market power and fiscal policy in OECD countries,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(32), pages 4545-4555, November.
- Afonso, António & Costa, Luís F., 2010. "Market power and fiscal policy in OECD countries," Working Paper Series 1173, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Luís Costa, 2010. "Market Power and Fiscal Policy in OECD Countries," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/11, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Luis F. COSTA & Antonio AFONSO, . "Market Power and Fiscal Policy in OECD Countries," EcoMod2010 259600041, EcoMod.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Stefano Scarpetta, 2002. "Estimation of the Cyclical Behaviour of Mark-ups: A Technical Note," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2002(1), pages 173-188.
- Bils, Mark, 1987. "The Cyclical Behavior of Marginal Cost and Price," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 838-55, December.
- Yangru Wu & Junxi Zhang, 2003. "Uniqueness and Stability of Equilibria in a Model with Endogenous Markups and Labor Supply," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 177-191, May.
- Roeger, Werner, 1995. "Can Imperfect Competition Explain the Difference between Primal and Dual Productivity Measures? Estimates for U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 316-30, April.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1999. "Optimal taxation and spending in general competitive growth models," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Caballero, R.J. & Lyons, R.K., 1989.
"The Role Of External Economies In U.S. Manufacturing,"
1989_14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Richard K. Lyons, 1989. "The Role of External Economies in U.S. Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 3033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2014-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.