Hedging residual value risk using derivatives
Abstract: In the leasing industry the lessor faces a risk, at the end of the contract, in not recovering sufficient capital value from resale of the asset. We propose a model to hedge residual value risk using the Gaussian copula methodology. After discussing residual value risk and credit risk modelization, a new derivative product is introduced and analyzed; the Collateralized Residual Values (CRV). The model is applied to an European auto lease portfolio of operating lease contracts pertaining to a major company. Our results indicate that the financial product is easy to customize, and to implement through the contract characteristics and the level of correlation.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hugues Pirotte & Mathias Schmit & Céline Vaessen, 2004. "Credit risk mitigation evidence in auto leases: LGD and residual value risk," Working Papers CEB 04-008.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Mathias Schmit, 2003.
"Is Automotive Leasing a Risky Business?,"
Working Papers CEB
03-009.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Schmit, Mathias, 2004. "Credit risk in the leasing industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 811-833, April.
- Grenadier, Steven R., 1995. "Valuing lease contracts A real-options approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 297-331, July.
- Philipp J. Schönbucher, 2000. "Factor Models for Portofolio Credit Risk," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse16_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2009-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.