Hedging residual value risk using derivatives
Abstract: In the leasing industry the lessor faces a risk, at the end of the contract, in not recovering sufficient capital value from resale of the asset. We propose a model to hedge residual value risk using the Gaussian copula methodology. After discussing residual value risk and credit risk modelization, a new derivative product is introduced and analyzed; the Collateralized Residual Values (CRV). The model is applied to an European auto lease portfolio of operating lease contracts pertaining to a major company. Our results indicate that the financial product is easy to customize, and to implement through the contract characteristics and the level of correlation.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 200 Avenue de la République, Bât. G - 92001 Nanterre Cedex|
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schmit, Mathias, 2004. "Credit risk in the leasing industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 811-833, April.
- Hugues Pirotte & Mathias Schmit & Céline Vaessen, 2004. "Credit risk mitigation evidence in auto leases: LGD and residual value risk," Working Papers CEB 04-008.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Grenadier, Steven R., 1995. "Valuing lease contracts A real-options approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 297-331, July.
- Philipp J. Schönbucher, 2000. "Factor Models for Portofolio Credit Risk," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse16_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Mathias Schmit, 2003.
"Is Automotive Leasing a Risky Business?,"
Working Papers CEB
03-009.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2009-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.