Regional Integration and the (Re)Distrubtion of Foreign Direct Investment between Asymmetric Hosts
We analyze the impact of economic integration on the activities of multinational enterprises in a general equilibrium model with asymmetric countries. Foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows are likely only to the extent that multinationals have not already shifted production to the integrating region. Integration could lead to industry rationalization that reduces FDI if tariffjumping is prevalent before liberalization. We find a magnification effect of the level of external protection on both multinational entry and exit. Low-protection countries will have greater MNE entry than high-protection countries due to wage differences.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raff, Horst, 2004.
"Preferential trade agreements and tax competition for foreign direct investment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2745-2763, December.
- Horst Raff, 2002. "Preferential Trade Agreements and Tax Competition for Foreign Direct Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 763, CESifo Group Munich.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Multinational firms and the new trade theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-203, December.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1997.
"Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
6019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1659, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 172, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Shabtai Donnenfeld, 2003. "Regional Blocs and Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(5), pages 770-788, November.
- Ignatius J. Horstmann & James R. Markusen, 1990. "Endogenous Market Structures in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heinrich, Jeff & Eby Konan, Denise, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and Host-Country Trading Blocs," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 15, pages 565-584.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c013_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.