Invalidity of the Bootstrap and the m Out of n Bootstrap for Interval Endpoints Defined by Moment Inequalities
This paper analyzes the finite-sample and asymptotic properties of several bootstrap and m out of n bootstrap methods for constructing confidence interval (CI) endpoints in models defined by moment inequalities. In particular, we consider using these methods directly to construct CI endpoints. By considering two very simple models, the paper shows that neither the bootstrap nor the m out of n bootstrap is valid in finite samples or in a uniform asymptotic sense in general when applied directly to construct CI endpoints. In contrast, other results in the literature show that other ways of applying the bootstrap, m out of n bootstrap, and subsampling do lead to uniformly asymptotically valid confidence sets in moment inequality models. Thus, the uniform asymptotic validity of resampling methods in moment inequality models depends on the way in which the resampling methods are employed.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Econometrics Journal (2009), 12: S172-S199|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canay, Ivan A., 2010. "EL inference for partially identified models: Large deviations optimality and bootstrap validity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 408-425, June.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Gustavo Soares, 2010.
"Inference for Parameters Defined by Moment Inequalities Using Generalized Moment Selection,"
Econometric Society, vol. 78(1), pages 119-157, 01.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Gustavo Soares, 2007. "Inference for Parameters Defined by Moment Inequalities Using Generalized Moment Selection," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1631, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Guido W. Imbens & Charles F. Manski, 2004.
"Confidence Intervals for Partially Identified Parameters,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1845-1857, November.
- Guido Imbens & Charles F. Manski, 2003. "Confidence intervals for partially identified parameters," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Joseph Romano, 1988. "Bootstrapping the mode," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 565-586, September.
- Romano, Joseph P & Wolf, Michael, 2001. "Subsampling Intervals in Autoregressive Models with Linear Time Trend," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1283-1314, September.
- Anna Mikusheva, 2007. "Uniform Inference in Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1411-1452, 09.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Patrik Guggenberger, 2007.
"Validity of Subsampling and "Plug-in Asymptotic" Inference for Parameters Defined by Moment Inequalities,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1620, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Guggenberger, Patrik, 2009. "Validity Of Subsampling And “Plug-In Asymptotic” Inference For Parameters Defined By Moment Inequalities," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 669-709, June.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2000. "Inconsistency of the Bootstrap when a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Parameter Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 399-406, March.
- Joseph P. Romano & Azeem M. Shaikh, 2010. "Inference for the Identified Set in Partially Identified Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(1), pages 169-211, 01.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Han Hong & Elie Tamer, 2007. "Estimation and Confidence Regions for Parameter Sets in Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1243-1284, 09.
- Richard Samworth, 2003. "A note on methods of restoring consistency to the bootstrap," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 985-990, December.
- Rudolf Beran, 1997. "Diagnosing Bootstrap Success," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Charles F. Manski & Elie Tamer, 2002. "Inference on Regressions with Interval Data on a Regressor or Outcome," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 519-546, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1671. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.