Entropic Latent Variable Integration via Simulation
This paper introduces a general method to convert a model defined by moment conditions involving both observed and unobserved variables into equivalent moment conditions involving only observable variables. This task can be accomplished without introducing infinite-dimensional nuisance parameters using a least-favourable entropy-maximising distribution. We demonstrate, through examples and simulations, that this approach covers a wide class of latent variables models, including some game-theoretic models and models with limited dependent variables, interval-valued data, errors-in-variables, or combinations thereof. Both point- and set-identified models are transparently covered. In the latter case, the method also complements the recent literature on generic set-inference methods by providing the moment conditions needed to construct a GMM-type objective function for a wide class of models. Extensions of the method that cover conditional moments, independence restrictions and some state-space models are also given.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521496032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
602, Econometric Society.
- Susanne M Schennach, 2007. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 201-239, 01.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- S. M. Schennach & Yingyao Hu, 2013.
"Nonparametric Identification and Semiparametric Estimation of Classical Measurement Error Models Without Side Information,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 108(501), pages 177-186, March.
- Susanne Schennach & Yingyao Hu, 2012. "Nonparametric identification and semiparametric estimation of classical measurement error models without side information," CeMMAP working papers CWP40/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Charles F. Manski & Elie Tamer, 2002. "Inference on Regressions with Interval Data on a Regressor or Outcome," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 519-546, March.
- Gerda Claeskens, 2004. "Restricted likelihood ratio lack-of-fit tests using mixed spline models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(4), pages 909-926.
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2001. "Asymptotic Optimality of Empirical Likelihood for Testing Moment Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1661-1672, November.
- Canay, Ivan A., 2010. "EL inference for partially identified models: Large deviations optimality and bootstrap validity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 408-425, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:32/13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benita Rajania)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.