A Quantilogram Approach to Evaluating Directional Predictability
In this note we propose a simple method of measuring directional predictability and testing for the hypothesis that a given time series has no directional predictability. The test is based on the correlogram of quantile hits. We provide the distribution theory needed to conduct inference, propose some model free upper bound critical values, and apply our methods to stock index return data. The empirical results suggests some directional predictability in returns especially in mid range quantiles like 5%-10%.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Econometrics (2007), 141: 250-282|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger & Zhao, Quanshui, 1996. "Conditional Quantile Estimation and Inference for Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 793-813, December.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:5:p:793-813 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marc Hallin & Jean-Marie Dufour & Ivan Mizera, 1998. "Generalized run tests for heteroscedastic time series," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2077, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Ian Tonks, 2005.
"Performance Persistence of Pension-Fund Managers,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(5), pages 1917-1942, September.
- Ian Tonks, 2002. "Performance persistence of pension fund managers," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24942, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Tonks, Ian, 2002. "Performance Persistence of Pension Fund Managers," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 175, Royal Economic Society.
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1988.
"Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 458-467, December.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987. "Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables," Working Papers 645, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Gilbert W. Bassett, 2004.
"Pessimistic Portfolio Allocation and Choquet Expected Utility,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(4), pages 477-492.
- Gilbert W. Bassett Jr & Roger Koenker & Gregory Kordas, 2004. "Pessimistic portfolio allocation and Choquet expected utility," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Peter Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Financial Asset Returns, Market Timing, and Volatility Dynamics," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-02, CIRANO.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:7:y:1991:i:2:p:186-99 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dufour, J.M. & Roy, R., 1985. "Generalized Portmanteau Statistics and Tests of Randomness," Cahiers de recherche 8540, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.