An Analysis of Settlement Risk Contagion in Alternative Securities Settlement Architecture
This paper compares the so-called gross and net architectures for securities settlement. It studies the settlement risk arising from exogenous operational delays and compares the importance of settlement failures under the two architectures, as a function of the length of the settlement cycle and of different market conditions. Under both architectures, settlement failures are non-monotonically related to the length of settlement cycle. There is no evidence that continuous time settlement provides always higher stability. Gross systems appear to be more stable than net systems.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Social Sciences Building, City University London, Whiskin Street, London, EC1R 0JD, United Kingdom,|
Phone: +44 (0)20 7040 8500
Web page: http://www.city.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devriese, Johan & Mitchell, Janet, 2005.
"Liquidity Risk in Securities Settlement,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5123, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leinonen, Harry, 2003. "Restructuring securities systems processing : A blue print proposal for real-time/t+0 processing," Research Discussion Papers 7/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Leinonen, Harry, 2007. "Simulation studies of liquidity needs, risks and efficiency in payment networks : Proceedings from the Bank of Finland Payment and Settlement System Seminars 2005-2006," Scientific Monographs, Bank of Finland, number 2007_039, October.
- Koponen, Risto & Soramäki, Kimmo, 1998. "Intraday liquidity needs in a modern interbank payment system : A simulation approach," Scientific Monographs, Bank of Finland, number 1998_014, October.
- Leinonen, Harry & Soramäki, Kimmo, 1999. "Optimizing liquidity usage and settlement speed in payment systems," Research Discussion Papers 16/1999, Bank of Finland.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2004.
"Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry,"
Working Paper Series
0376, European Central Bank.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2007. "Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 91-116, January.
- Leinonen, Harry, 2005. "Liquidity, risks and speed in payment and settlement systems : a simulation approach," Scientific Monographs, Bank of Finland, number 2005_031, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cty:dpaper:08/03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Publications Librarian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.