Inequality decomposition by factor component : a “rank-correlation” approach illustrated on the Taiwanese case
This paper systematises the method initiated by Burtless (1999) and provides a general framework for decomposing inequality by factor components. It has the double advantage over usual decomposition procedures to allow for a decomposition of changes in the whole income distribution and to distinguish between the effect of marginal distribution changes of income sources and that of changes in correlation between income sources. An illustration is provided for Taiwan, which emphasises the central role played by changes in assortative mating of spouses.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- John DiNardo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 1995.
"Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DiNardo, John & Fortin, Nicole M & Lemieux, Thomas, 1996. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1001-44, September.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: a Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nidardo, J. & Fortin, N. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Papers 93-94-15, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Graham Pyatt & Chau-nan Chen & John Fei, 1980. "The Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 451-473.
- Schultz, T.P., 1997.
"Income Inequality in Taiwan 197601995: Changing Family Composition, Aging, and Female Labour Force Participation,"
778, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- T. Paul Schultz, 1997. "Income Inequality in Taiwan 1976-1995: Changing Family Composition, Aging, and Female Labor Force Participation," Working Papers 778, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Angus S. Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1994.
"Saving, Growth, and Aging in Taiwan,"
in: Studies in the Economics of Aging, pages 331-362
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burtless, Gary, 1999. "Effects of growing wage disparities and changing family composition on the U.S. income distribution," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 853-865, April.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Lustig, Nora, 1999. "Why is Inequality Back on the Agenda?," Working Papers 127690, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Chantreuil, F. & Trannoy, A., 1999.
"Inequality Decomposition Values: the Trade-Off Between Marginality and Consistency,"
99-24, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- F. Chantreuil & A. Trannoy, 1999. "Inequality decomposition values : the trade-off between marginality and consistency," THEMA Working Papers 99-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- François Bourguignon & Martin Fournier & Marc Gurgand, 1999. "Female Labor Supply in the Course of Taiwans’s Development, 1979-1994," Working Papers 99-20, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bourguignon, Francois & Fournier, M & Gurgand, M, 2001. "Fast Development with a Stable Income Distribution: Taiwan, 1979-94," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 47(2), pages 139-63, June.
- Lerman, Robert I, 1996. "The Impact of the Changing US Family Structure on Child Poverty and Income Inequality," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages S119-39, Suppl..
- John C. H. Fei & Gustav Ranis & Shirley W. Y. Kuo, 1978. "Growth and the Family Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(1), pages 17-53.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvre:2001042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sebastien SCHILLINGS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.