Cyclical behaviour of consumption of non-durable goods: Spain versus U.S.A
This paper studies the excessive volatility of Spanish aggregate non-durables consumption with relation to aggregate income. In this paper we stress the importance of non-durables imports over the variability of total non-durables consumption and we propose a theoretical model that formalizes the relation between domestic and imported consumption. The main finding of the paper is that a model of intertemporal optimization where there is no credit constrain or government can produce so high volatilities of consumption as the ones observed.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan J. Dolado & Miguel Sebastián & Javier Vallés, 1993.
"Ciclical patterns of the spanish economy,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(3), pages 445-473, September.
- Albert Marcet & Morten O. Ravn, 2001.
"The HP-filter in cross-country comparisons,"
Economics Working Papers
588, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 2003.
- Albert Marcet & Morten O. Ravn, 2003. "The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons," Working Papers 32, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Marcet, Albert & Ravn, Morten O, 2004. "The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons," CEPR Discussion Papers 4244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albert Marcet & Morte O. Ravn, . "The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons," Studies on the Spanish Economy 100, FEDEA.
- Duran, Jorge, 2000.
"Discounting Long Run Average Growth in Stochastic Dynamic Programs,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2000006, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Jorge Durán, 2003. "Discounting long run average growth in stochastic dynamic programs," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 22(2), pages 395-413, 09.
- Duran, Jorge, 2001. "Discounting long run average growth in stochastic dynamic programs," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 0101, CEPREMAP.
- Jorge Durán, 2002. "Discounting Long Run Average Growth In Stochastic Dynamic Programs," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995.
"Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series,"
NBER Working Papers
5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999. "Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Luis A. Puch & Omar Licandro, 1997.
"Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycle?,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 361-394, May.
- Luis Puch & Omar Licandro, . "Are there any special features in the Spanish business cycles?," Working Papers 97-06, FEDEA.
- Fatas, Antonio, 2000.
"Endogenous growth and stochastic trends,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 107-128, February.
- Lores, Francisco Xavier, 2001. "Growth and cyclical fluctuations in Spanish macroeconomic series," UC3M Working papers. Economics we014609, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Ellen R. McGrattan, 1998. "A defense of AK growth models," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 13-27.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we014710. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.