Entry into a network industry: consumers’ expectations and firms’ pricing policies
This paper presents a model of entry into a network industry. The entrant tries to attract the customer base of the incumbent service provider. While the entrant is more efficient, the incumbent enjoys an advantage thanks to a bias in consumers’ expectations. Buyers enter the game with heterogenous beliefs as to which of the two firms is going to win competition. Then expectations converge - through higher order beliefs - and select one winner, who ends up being the single supplier. The path of expectations convergence crucially depends on the pricing policy followed by firms: so equilibrium beliefs are endogenous. Depending on parameter values, one of two outcomes obtains: (i) the incumbent is able to exclude the entrant, by lowering his price below the monopoly level; (ii) the entrant is successful, by undercutting the incumbent price. Productive efficiency and consumers’ welfare are hurt by exclusion; the entry threat is beneficial to consumers anyway. Imposing compatibility among networks is welfare improving, as it removes the exclusionary potential enjoyed by the incumbent.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.unicatt.it/Istituti/EconomiaFinanza|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angelo Baglioni & Andrea Monticini, 2008. "The Intraday Price of Money: Evidence from the e-MID Interbank Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(7), pages 1533-1540, October.
- Baglioni Angelo, 2008. "Entry into a Network Industry: Consumers' Expectations and Firms' Pricing Policies," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-13, July.
- Massimo Bordignon, 2000. "Problems of Soft Budget Constraints in Intergovernmental Relationships: The Case of Italy," Research Department Publications 3099, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Andrea Monticini & Giacomo Vaciago, 2005.
"Are Europe's Interest Rates led by FED Announcements?,"
- Monticini & Vaciago, 2004. "Are Europe Interest Rates led by FED's Announcements?," Macroeconomics 0407025, EconWPA.
- Angelo Baglioni & Rony Hamaui, 2003. "The Choice Among Interbank Settlement Systems: The European Experience," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 32(1), pages 67-100, 02.
- Mastromatteo Giuseppe & Ventura Luigi, 2007. "Fundamentals, Beliefs, and the Origin of Money: A Search Theoretic Perspective," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 113-140.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Gilberto Turati, 2004. "Volunteer Labour Supply: the role of workers' motivations," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(4), pages 619-643, December.
- Massimo Bordignon & Luca Colombo & Umberto Galmarini, 2003. "Fiscal Federalism and Endogenous Lobbies' Formation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1017, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gerd Weinrich & Luca Colombo, 2001.
"The Phillips Curve as a Long-Run Phenomenon in a Macroeconomic Model with Complex Dynamics,"
CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001
1B.3, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Colombo, Luca & Weinrich, Gerd, 2003. "The Phillips curve as a long-run phenomenon in a macroeconomic model with complex dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-26, October.
- Luca Colombo and Gerd Weinrich, 2001. "The Phillips Curve as a Long-Run Phenomenon in a Macroeconomic Model with Complex Dynamics," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 13, Society for Computational Economics.
- Massimo Bordignon & Floriana Cerniglia & Federico Revelli, 2002. "In Search for Yardstick Competition: Property Tax Rates and Electoral Behavior in Italian Cities," CESifo Working Paper Series 644, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andrea Terzi & Giovanni Verga, 2006. "Stock-bond correlation and the bond quality ratio: Removing the discount factor to generate a “deflated” stock index," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0067, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Boitani Andrea & Cambini Carlo, 2002. "Regolazione incentivante per i servizi di trasporto locale," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 193-226.
- Andrea Terzi, 2005. "International Financial Instability in a World of Currencies Hierarchy," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0064, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Andrea Boitani & Carlo Cambini, 2004. "Le gare per i servizi di trasporto locale in Europa e in Italia: molto rumore per nulla?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2004(122).
- Colombo Luca & Coltro Maria Gabriella, 2002. "La misurazione della produttività: l'evidenza empirica, il ruolo della "New Economy" e i problemi metodologici," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 231-274.
- Luca Colombo & Gilberto Turati, 2004. "La dimensione territoriale nei processi di concentrazione dell'industria bancaria italiana," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2004(84).
- Gilberto Turati & Gian Paolo Barbetta, 2001. "L'analisi dell'efficienza tecnica nel settore della sanità. Un'applicazione al caso della Lombardia," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(2).
- Baglioni Angelo, 2002. "Multiple Banking Relationships: Competition among "inside" Banks," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 165-196.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctc:serie3:ief0069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Massimo Bordignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.