Old Issues in New Regionalism
There has been a burst of interest in regional trading arrangements in the Asia Pacific region. Business pressures, frustration with the multilateral process, renewed interests in regional autonomy and domino effects have contributed to the interest in a preferential route. But the use of these arrangements leads to serious risks of new layers of discrimination in the regional trading system, and to a marked change in strategy for trade liberalisation in East Asia. Hopes that this route to reform will be successful may yet be disappointed. Even so, individual economies must design strategic responses to the change in the policy environment, with a long-run goal of returning liberalisation to the nondiscriminatory track.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: (61-2) 6249 3780
Fax: (61-2) 6249 3941
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research_units/ajrc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Baldwin, 1997.
"The Causes of Regionalism,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(7), pages 865-888, November.
- Baldwin, Richard, 1997. "The Causes of Regionalism," CEPR Discussion Papers 1599, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elek, A. & Findlay, C. & Hooper, P. & Warren, T., 1999. "â€œOpen skiesâ€ or open clubs? New issues for Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 143-151.
- Ronald J. Wonnacott, 1996. "Trade and Investment in a Hub-and-Spoke System Versus a Free Trade Area," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 237-252, 05.
- Krueger, Anne O., 1997. "Free trade agreements versus customs unions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 169-187, October.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1995. "Free Trade Agreements versus Customs Unions," NBER Working Papers 5084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy, Philip I, 1997. "A Political-Economic Analysis of Free-Trade Agreements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 506-519, September.
- Gandal, Neil & Shy, Oz, 2001. "Standardization policy and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 363-383, April.
- Gandal, N. & Shy, O., 1996. "Standardization Policy and International Trade," Papers 12-96, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Snape, Richard H, 1996. "Trade Discrimination--Yesterday's Problem?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(219), pages 381-396, December.
- John McLaren, 2002. "A Theory of Insidious Regionalism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 571-608.
- Anderson Kym & Snape Richard H., 1994. "European and American Regionalism: Effects on and Options for Asia," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 454-477, December.
- Anderson, Kym & Snape, Richard H, 1994. "European and American Regionalism: Effects on and Options for Asia," CEPR Discussion Papers 983, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely, 1999. "On the size and number of regional integration arrangements - a political economy model," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2117, The World Bank.
- Vousden,Neil, 1990. "The Economics of Trade Protection," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521346696, October.
- Christopher Findlay, 1997. "The APEC Air Transport Schedule," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 273, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Arvind Panagariya, 2000. "Preferential Trade Liberalization: The Traditional Theory and New Developments," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(2), pages 287-331, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csg:ajrcau:311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akira Kinefuchi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.