Asymptotic Inference in Multiple-Threshold Nonlinear Time Series Models
This paper investigates a class of multiple-threshold models, called Multiple Threshold Double AR (MTDAR) models. A sufficient condition is obtained for the existence and uniqueness of a strictly stationary and ergodic solution to the first-order MTDAR model. We study the Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator (QMLE) of the MTDAR model. The estimated thresholds are shown to be n-consistent, asymptotically independent, and to converge weakly to the smallest minimizer of a two-sided compound Poisson process. The remaining parameters are ?n-consistent and asymptotically multivariate normal. In particular, these results apply to the multiple threshold ARCH model, with or without AR part, and to the multiple threshold AR models with ARCH errors. A score-based test is also presented to determine the number of thresholds in MTDAR models. The limiting distribution is shown to be distribution-free and is easy to implement in practice. Simulation studies are conducted to assess the performance of the QMLE and our score-based test in finite samples. The results are illustrated with an application to the quarterly U.S. real GNP data over the period 1947–2013
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008.
"Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-30, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," Economics Series Working Papers 396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Li, Dong & Ling, Shiqing & Li, Wai Keung, 2013. "Asymptotic Theory On The Least Squares Estimation Of Threshold Moving-Average Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(03), pages 482-516, June.
- Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M, 1999.
"Dynamic Asymmetries in U.S. Unemployment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 298-312, July.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2000.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 575-604, May.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Wolf, Michael, 2005.
"Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 201-224, August.
- Jesús Gonzalo & Michael Wolf, 2001. "Subsampling inference in threshold autoregressive models," Economics Working Papers 573, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Shiqing Ling, 2004. "Estimation and testing stationarity for double-autoregressive models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(1), pages 63-78.
- Li, Dong & Ling, Shiqing, 2012. "On the least squares estimation of multiple-regime threshold autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 240-253.
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2005. "Diagnostic Checking in ARMA Models With Uncorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 532-544, June.
- Potter, Simon M, 1995.
"A Nonlinear Approach to US GNP,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 109-25, April-Jun.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1992.
"Qualitative threshold ARCH models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 159-199.
- Li, W K & Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. " Recent Theoretical Results for Time Series Models with GARCH Errors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 245-69, July.
- Rabemananjara, R & Zakoian, J M, 1993. "Threshold Arch Models and Asymmetries in Volatility," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 31-49, Jan.-Marc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2013-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.