Asymmetric Broadband Wholesale Regulation
Due to technological convergence, multiple infrastructures can now offer broadband or triple-play services, while the existing access regulation is based on a single essential network. We show that continued asymmetric access regulation of one network does not control sufficiently for market power and benefits the unregulated network, and that symmetric regulation would lead to higher consumer surplus. Furthermore, the whole setup of access regulation may not be viable in the long run if regulatory constraints provide strong first-mover advantages to the unregulated network.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael H. Riordan & Yongmin Chen, 2005.
"Price and Variety in the Spokes Model,"
0405-20, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Crandall Robert W., 2008. "Letting Go? The Federal Communications Commission in the Era of Deregulation," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-28, December.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2010.
"Competition Between Multiple Asymmetric Networks: Theory and Applications,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2014. "Competition between multiple asymmetric networks: Theory and applications," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 57-69.
- Jerry A. Hausman & J. Gregory Sidak & HalJ. Singer, 2001. "Cable Modems and DSL: Broadband Internet Access for Residential Customers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 302-307, May.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 1991. "Monopolistic Competition on the Pyramid," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 355-68, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.