Terms of Trade Shocks and Domestic Prices under Tariffs and Quotas: A Note
The paper develops a two-good, small country, general equilibrium trade model with endogenous labour supply, where trade is restricted by a tariff or an import quota. Within this framework, it is shown that, contrary to Anam (1989), under an import quota domestic and world prices may vary in the same direction. This is due to the possible positive employment effects of terms of trade shocks. In such a case, compared to fixed labour supply, variable labour supply is likely to make the domestic prices less sensitive to foreign price volatility.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Tariffs vs . Quotas as Revenue Raising Devices under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 975-81, December.
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1991. "Endogenous labor supply in international trade theory : Two alternative models," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 105-120, February.
- Martin, John P. & Neary, J. Peter, 1980. "Variable labour supply and the pure theory of international trade : An empirical note," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 549-559, November.
- Takayama,Akira, 1985. "Mathematical Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314985, Junio.
- Michael S. Michael, 1992. "International Factor Mobility, Non-traded Goods, Tariffs, and the Terms of Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 493-99, May.
- Krueger, Anne O., 1984. "Trade policies in developing countries," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 519-569 Elsevier.
- Neary, J Peter, 1978. "Capital Subsidies and Employment in an Open Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 334-56, November.
- Martin, John P, 1976. "Variable Factor Supplies and the Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(344), pages 820-31, December.
- Anam, Mahmudul, 1989. "Terms of trade shocks and domestic prices under tariffs and quotas : A note," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1279-1282, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.