Strategic bypass deterrence
In liberalized network industries, entrants can either compete for service using the existing infrastructure (access) or deploy their own infrastructure capacity (bypass). In this paper, we demonstrate that, under the threat of bypass, the access price set by an unregulated and vertically integrated incumbent is compatible with productive efficiency. This means that the entrant bypasses the existing infrastructure only if it can produce the network input more efficiently. We show that the incumbent lowers the access price compared to the ex-post efficient level to strategically deter inefficient bypass by the entrant. Accordingly, from a productive efficiency point of view, there is no need to regulate access prices when the entrant has the option to bypass. Despite that, we show that restricting the possibilities of access might be profitable for consumers and welfare because competition is fiercer under bypass.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2005.
"Unbundling the local loop,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 173-199, January.
- M. Bourreau & P. Dogan, "undated". "Unbundling the Local Loop," Working Paper 33648, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, July.
- David Mandy, 2009. "Pricing inputs to induce efficient Make-or-Buy decisions," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 29-43, August.
- Bloch Francis & Gautier Axel, 2008. "Access Pricing and Entry in the Postal Sector," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-24, June.
- BLOCH, Francis & GAUTIER, Axel, "undated". "Access pricing and entry in the postal sector," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BLOCH, Francis & GAUTIER, Axel, 2006. "Access pricing and entry in the postal sector," CORE Discussion Papers 2006065, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Francis Bloch & A. Gautier, 2008. "Acces pricing and entry in the postal sector," Post-Print hal-00361691, HAL.
- Francis Bloch & Axel Gautier, 2006. "Access Pricing and Entry in the Postal Sector," CREPP Working Papers 0606, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Francis Bloch & Axel Gautier, 2006. "Access Pricing and Entry in the Postal Sector," Working Papers halshs-00411358, HAL.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Access pricing and competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1673-1710, December.
- J-J. Laffont & J. Tirole, 1994. "Access Pricing and Competition," Working papers 95-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "Access Pricing and Competition," Working papers 94-31, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philip Gayle & Dennis Weisman, 2007. "Are input prices irrelevant for make-or-buy decisions?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 195-207, October.
- David E. M Sappington, 2005. "On the Irrelevance of Input Prices for Make-or-Buy Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1631-1638, December.
- Peitz, Martin, 2005. "Asymmetric access price regulation in telecommunications markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 341-358, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2012062. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.