An evolutionary explanation for the propensity to migrate
We explore the evolutionary dynamics of a population that consists of cooperators and defectors, wherein each member of the many pairs of players of a one-shot prisoner's dilemma game is drawn at random, and the number of descendents positively depends on the payoffs in the game. We demonstrate how an inclination to migrate may be mapped onto the overall evolutionary fitness of the cooperators. The threshold value of the inclination to migrate parameter is obtained. Intensities of migration higher than that value guarantee that in the long run, the population will consist entirely of cooperators. The threshold value is characterized by the payoff parameters lying at the base of the evolutionary dynamics.
|Date of creation:||00 May 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stark, Oded, 1998.
"On the economics of vanishing,"
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 261-266, November.
- Oded Stark, 1998. "On the Economics of Vanishing," Departmental Working Papers _099, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Stark, Oded, 1993. "How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 149-155, May.
- Ted Bergstrom & Oded Stark, "undated". "How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment," Papers _024, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, T.C. & Stark, O., 1993. "How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment," Papers 93-01, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom & Oded Stark, 1994. "How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment," Microeconomics 9401001, EconWPA.
- Stark, Oded, 2004. "Cooperation and wealth," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 109-115, January.
- Stark, Oded, 2002. "Cooperation and Wealth," Economics Series 123, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Stark, Oded, 2003. "Cooperation And Wealth," Discussion Papers 18763, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Falk, Ita & Stark, Oded, 2001. "Dynasties and Destiny: On the Roles of Altruism and Impatience in the Evolution of Consumption and Bequests," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(272), pages 505-518, November.
- Stark, Oded & Falk, Ita, 2000. "Dynasties and Destiny: On the Roles of Altruism and Impatience in the Evolution of Consumption and Bequests," Economics Series 88, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Stark, Oded & Falk, Ita, 2001. "Dynasties And Destiny: On The Roles Of Altruism And Impatience In The Evolution Of Consumption And Bequests," Discussion Papers 18749, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Stark, Oded, 1999. "Siblings, strangers, and the surge of altruism," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Stark, Oded, 1999. "Siblings, Strangers, and the Surge of Altruism," Economics Series 67, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom, 2002. "Evolution of Social Behavior: Individual and Group Selection," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 67-88, Spring.
- Oded Stark & You Wang, 2004. "On the evolutionary edge of altruism: a game-theoretic proof of Hamilton’s rule for a simple case of siblings," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 37-42, January.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, You Qiang, 2003. "On the Evolutionary Edge of Altruism: A Game-Theoretic Proof of Hamilton's Rule for a Simple Case of Siblings," Economics Series 139, Institute for Advanced Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2005038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.