In this paper, we apply a collection of parametric (Normal, Normal GARCH, Student GARCH, RiskMetrics and high-frequency duration models) and non-parametric (empirical quantile, extreme distributions models) Value-at-Risk (VaR) techniques to intraday data for three stocks traded on the NewY ork Stock Exchange. Because of the small time horizon of the intraday returns (15 and 30 minute returns), intraday VaR can be useful to market participants (traders, market makers)involved in frequent trading. As expected, the volatility features an important intraday seasonality, which must be removed prior to using theVaR models. The estimation and assessment of the VaR techniques indicate that the data displays a high kurtosis (fat tails), and that VaR models should take this important feature into account. More particularly, Student GARCH, empirical quantile and extreme distributions models perform relatively well.
|Date of creation:||00 Sep 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Russell, Jeffrey R., 1997. "Forecasting the frequency of changes in quoted foreign exchange prices with the autoregressive conditional duration model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 187-212, June.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999.
"Value-at-Risk analysis of stock returns: Historical simulation, varinace techniques or tail index estimation ?,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
579, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999. "Value-at-Risk Analysis of Stock Returns Historical Simulation,Variance Techniques or Tail Index Estimation?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 40, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Olivier Renault & Jean-Luc Prigent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000.
"An Autoregressive Conditional Binomial Option Pricing Model,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp364, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean -Luc Prigent & Olivier Renault & Olivier Scaillet, 1999. "An Autoregressive Conditional Binomial Option Pricing Model," Working Papers 99-65, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Morana, Claudio, 1999. "Computing value at risk with high frequency data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 431-455, December.
- Dominique M. Guillaume & Olivier V. Pictet & Michel M. Dacorogna, "undated". "On the intra-daily performance of GARCH processes," Working Papers 1994-07-31, Olsen and Associates.
- GIOT, Pierre, 1999. "Time transformations, intraday data and volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 1999044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh, 1999. "Value-at-Risk and least squares tail index estimation," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 578, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Lange, Steve, 1999. "Forecasting financial market volatility: Sample frequency vis-a-vis forecast horizon," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 457-477, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2000045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.