Agglomeration economies in European and American cities
We consider two types of cities. In the European one the amenities are located at the city-center (like e.g. Paris or London) whereas in the American-type city the amenties are at the city-edge (like e.g. Detroit, Los Angeles). We first show that the unemployed reside at the vicinity of the city-center in the American-type city while they locate at the outskirts of the city in the European one. We then establish conditions for the endogeneous formation of monocentric European and American cities and compare them. It turns out that the employed workers are better off in European cities whereas the unemployed and firms are worse off, that land rent is cheaper in American cities and that the number of trips devoted to amenities and to work affect differently workers' utilities and firms' profits in the two cities.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujita,Masahisa, 1989.
"Urban Economic Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521346627, December.
- Daniel Cohen & Arnaud Lefranc & Gilles Saint-Paul, 1997. "French unemployment: a transatlantic perspective," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(25), pages 265-292, October.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996.
"Economics of Agglomeration,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 339-378, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521171960, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107001411, December.
- Fujita, M. & Thisse, J.-F., "undated". "Economics of agglomeration," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1250, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996. "Economics of Agglomeration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wheaton, William C, 1977. "Income and Urban Residence: An Analysis of Consumer Demand for Location," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 620-631, September.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1370 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hochman, Oded & Ofek, Haim, 1977. "The Value of Time in Consumption and Residential Location in an Urban Setting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 996-1003, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1999002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.