We introduce and solve a new class of "downward-recursive" static portfolio choice problems. An individual simultaneously chooses among ranked stochastic options, and each choice is costly. In the motivational application, just one may be exercised from those that succeed. This often emerges in practice, such as when a student applies to many colleges or when a firm simultaneously tries several technologies. Copyright The Econometric Society 2006.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1979.
"Optimal Search for the Best Alternative,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 641-654, May.
- Hector Chade & Lones Smith, "undated".
2168591, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Hector Chade & Lones Smith, 2005. "Simultaneous Search," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 172782000000000033, www.najecon.org.
- Lones Smith & Hector Chade, 2004. "Simultaneous Search," 2004 Meeting Papers 25, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- lones smith & hector chade, 2004. "simultaneous search," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 64, Econometric Society.
- Hector Chade & Lones Smith, 2006. "Simultaneous Search," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1556, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter A. & Vroman, Susan, 2003.
"Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications,"
IZA Discussion Papers
719, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James Albrecht & Pieter A. Gautier & Susan Vroman, 2006. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 73(4), pages 869-891.
- James Albrecht & Pieter Gautier, 2004. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 330, Econometric Society.
- James Albrecht, Pieter Gautier, & Susan Vroman, 2003. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Application," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-02, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- James Albrecht & Pieter Gautier & Susan Vroman, 2003. "Equilibrium Directed Search with Multiple Applications," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-004/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 14 Feb 2004.
- Milgrom, P. & Shannon, C., 1991.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
11, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Kenneth Burdett & Shouyong Shi & Randall Wright, 2001. "Pricing and Matching with Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 1060-1085, October.
- Gul, Faruk & Stacchetti, Ennio, 1999. "Walrasian Equilibrium with Gross Substitutes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 95-124, July.
- Kelso, Alexander S, Jr & Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "Job Matching, Coalition Formation, and Gross Substitutes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1483-1504, November.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Judd, Kenneth L, 1983. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 955-969, July.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213-213.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cla:najeco:172782000000000033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David K. Levine)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.