Further evidence on the link between health care spending and health outcomes in England
This report describes results from research funded by the Health Foundation under its Quest for Quality and Improved Performance (QQuIP) initiative. It builds on our earlier report for the Health Foundation – The link between health care spending and health outcomes: evidence from English programme budgeting data – that took advantage of the availability of a major new dataset to examine the relationship between health care expenditure and mortality rates for two disease categories (cancer and circulation problems) across 300 English Primary Care Trusts. Our results are useful from a number of perspectives. Scientifically, they confirm our previous findings that health care has an important impact on health across a range of conditions, suggesting that those results were robust across programmes of care and across years. From a policy perspective, these results can help set priorities by informing resource allocation across a larger number of programmes of care. They also add further evidence to help NICE decide whether its current QALY threshold is at the right level.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (01904) 321401
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/che
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Martin & Nigel Rice & Peter C Smith, 2007. "The Link Between Health Care Spending and Health Outcomes: Evidence from English Programme Budgeting Data," Working Papers 024cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Taylor, Larry W, 1999.
" Diagnostics for IV Regressions,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(2), pages 255-81, May.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:2:p:222-40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zeynep Or, 2001. "Exploring the Effects of Health Care on Mortality Across OECD Countries," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 46, OECD Publishing.
- Gravelle, H.S.E. & Backhouse, M.E., 1987. "International cross-section analysis of the determination of mortality," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 427-441, January.
- James H. Stock & Motohiro Yogo, 2002. "Testing for Weak Instruments in Linear IV Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cragg, John G. & Donald, Stephen G., 1993. "Testing Identifiability and Specification in Instrumental Variable Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 222-240, April.
- John Nixon & Philippe Ulmann, 2006. "The relationship between health care expenditure and health outcomes," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 7-18, March.
- Pierre-Yves Crémieux & Pierre Ouellette & Caroline Pilon, 1999. "Health care spending as determinants of health outcomes," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(7), pages 627-639.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chy:respap:32cherp. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.